Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Insanely low broadband speed despite unlimited!

This is a discussion on Insanely low broadband speed despite unlimited! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I'm supposed to be on Broadband Unlimited yet despite my ping levels been ok on games, my connection speed ...

Farmer Giles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Insanely low broadband speed despite unlimited!

Hi

I'm supposed to be on Broadband Unlimited yet despite my ping levels been ok on games, my connection speed for everything else is diabolical, not even managing to cater for three quarters of a megabyte of speed. For a new build property only a mile from the exchange that makes no sense.

Please can anyone help me find out what is causing this? When Sky did the line testing I started off getting high download speeds of 300kb a second so my speed must have been pretty good. Now I can barely get more than 40-50kb a sec if I'm lucky.

Here are some stats if that will help, but please let me know if you need to know anything specific about my phone sockets, or setup or anything.

Here are some of the stats.

PORT STATUS TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time

WAN PPPoA 351399 322724 0 0 131 49:39:48
      LAN 12375901 10082949 0 0 0 264:19:38
      WLAN 2985 397 0 0 0 264:19:10

ASDL Link Downstream Upstream

Connect Speed 714kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61.5db 34.9 db
      Noise Margin 19.8 db 11.2 db

And if they posted correctly, here are some links to Speedtest.net

Please help, I can't live like this, having broadband speeds dating back to the Stone Age.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Insanely low broadband speed despite unlimited!

DLM usually sets max delays, which governs your ping, at 8ms (sky's lowest) so that'll be why the ping times are ok.

Regarding the downstream/upstream speeds... if you really are 1 mile from your exchange, then either it takes a very different route to your exchange and adding a lot onto your actual distance, or you have a really bad wiring fault within the house.

Plug into your test socket with simply a filter and the short grey dsl cable sky supplied with no extension cables and re-take the stats.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

You're looking for an increase in noise margin and/or attenuation to drop.

Edit: I would add that if the SNR or attenuation does not change, then it's just a matter of calling up sky and getting your line uncapped as DLM has capped it quite heavily.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Insanely low broadband speed despite unlimited!

You may be only a mile from the exchange but the line attenuation suggests a much longer actual line length.
      Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained
      Your nm is very high so if you are a new customer then this may still be under DLM, if so you need to let it settle for a few days, then if no improvement call sky.

edit - and also do what User05 has suggested