Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

noise margin

This is a discussion on noise margin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; so what i should do is disconnect the wires from terminal 2 & 5 from the socket in the dining ...

smiley rulez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: noise margin

so what i should do is disconnect the wires from terminal 2 & 5 from the socket in the dining room.

or do i have to do it to the master? there is no way i can get to it

sorry about this i just want to make sure.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Remove the Orange cable from both your sockets. Don't touch the wires in the 2 & 5 terminals in your Front room socket.

Disconnect the wires in the dining room socket and reconnect the pair coming from your master socket in the loft. It may be difficult to see which is which so you will just have to do it by trial and error. ie connect a pair and see if you have dial tone, if not, connect the other pair. As it is a screw type connection, this should be easily done. You do not have to worry about any wires except those connected to terminals 2 and 5.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

i can't get to my master socket.

to tell the truth i'm not 100% sure it's in the loft because the gap is miniscule.

so basicly remove all the wires from the two extensions accept from 2 & 5 ?

im sorry about going over and over the same thing.

i don't want to muck things up even further!

Thanks

. I am pretty sure you will have a 'real' Master complete with a capacitor and other gizmos. My suggestion in post 22 is simply to give you as good a connection as you are going to get without access to this' Master socket. To be honest, it might make little or no difference, but you will not know for sure until you try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

hi

i don't understand some of what you said in post #22

i've read this over and over and it doesn't make total sense. if you know what i mean

Remove the Orange cable from both your sockets. Don't touch the wires in the 2 & 5 terminals in your Front room socket. Why not? my router is in the dining room

Disconnect the wires in the dining room socket and reconnect the pair coming from your master socket in the loft reconnect the pair coming from your master? which wires are they?

if i disonnect the wires in the dining room i will have to move my router & phone

It may be difficult to see which is which so you will just have to do it by trial and error. ie connect a pair and see if you have dial tone, if not, connect the other pair. As it is a screw type connection, this should be easily done. You do not have to worry about any wires except those connected to terminals 2 and 5.

To make this perfectly clear.

I disconnect all the wires accept 2 & 5 from both the extensions front room and dining room?

i feel like such an idiot asking questions over and over but i have very limited knowledge on wiring etc

Thanks

Don't touch the wires in the 2 & 5 terminals in your Front room socket. Why not? my router is in the dining room
      Because these are IDC connections which are difficult for a newbie to replace properly. The connections in the dining room are screw type which a 5 year old could replace.

Disconnect the wires in the dining room socket and reconnect the pair coming from your master socket in the loft reconnect the pair coming from your master? which wires are they?
      What I want you to do is remove the wires going to your front room so that the wires going back to your real master in the loft are the only ones connected.

if i disonnect the wires in the dining room i will have to move my router & phone
      Why? You are going to reconnect the wires going back to the loft where your signal is coming from.

I disconnect all the wires accept 2 & 5 from both the extensions front room and dining room?
      No don't touch the dining room at all, except the wire going to terminal3 which can be permanently removed, as they are difficult to replace.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

i've disconnected the ring wire from the dining room socket.

when you say

"What I want you to do is remove the wires going to your front room so that the wires going back to your real master in the loft are the only ones connected."

do you mean the wires coming from the wire i have outlined?

here are my stats: (things got alot worse last night! the router downstream and upstream speed was 0 and the noise margin was negative)

removing the ring wire didn't seem to do anything until now

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3776 kbps 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35 db 19 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 7 db

i will phone sky on wednesday to sort this out properly (get my connection capped at a stable speed)

i also had my max delay lowered will that cause instability?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails noise margin-dining-room-socket-edit.jpg  

Thanks

i will phone sky on wednesday to sort this out properly (get my connection capped at a stable speed)
      Sky will be able to do nothing about your internal wiring, which I think is your main problem.

do you mean the wires coming from the wire i have outlined?
      It is hard to say, I don't know where that cable comes from. If it comes from the loft, remove the wires from the other cable. If it goes to your other socket, remove it.

Looking again at your pictures you should be removing the blue wire from terminal 2 and the white/blue wire from terminal 5. This is a twisted pair going to your other socket so the others must be going to the loft.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

i think the cable on the left is going to another extension socket in a bedroom so i will remove the wires coming from there.

the picture is an old picture i will take it again with the ring wire removed if you like?

Thanks

i think the cable on the left is going to another extension socket in a bedroom
      You did not mention this extension before, I was under the impression you only had 2. Check the wires inside this one, how many cables going in/out? Do you have any more you have not mentioned?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast