Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Very slow connection speed and cuts off when downloading. Please help! :)

This is a discussion on Very slow connection speed and cuts off when downloading. Please help! :) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there! I was on Sky Broadband Everyday until a few days ago, where I was put onto Unlimited for ...

Heybunny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield (SLEF)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Red face Very slow connection speed and cuts off when downloading. Please help! :)

Hi there! I was on Sky Broadband Everyday until a few days ago, where I was put onto Unlimited for going over my monthly usage allowance twice in 6 months.

Anyways, for the past month or so, we've (bf and I) been unable to use our browsers whilst downloading something, even if that means something like loading a video in Youtube. Downloading anything would stop websites from loading entirely. Meanwhile, the online game that I play keeps me connected (albeit with a bit of lag) and I stay in MSN the whole time.

After emailing Sky support, I got an email asking me to check a few things, mostly wiring and to test the router in the test socket, which I did. I didn't seem to notice any difference at all, except the loading progress bar in the browser was only going to half very fast, then it would try for a while and cut off, saying it couldn't be loaded. MSN and anything else would also not work, but the router still said it was connected to the Internet. Anyways, resetting and unplugging didn't make it come back, so I grabbed a new router out of the loft (after messing up my subscription several times, Sky sent me a few routers) and connected it. This worked, but the speed did not change much.

Anyway, instead of babbling, I thought these results would help more.

Before using the test socket:

While using:

Currently (back on normal socket):

Thanks for any help.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Very slow connection speed and cuts off when downloading. Please help! :)

The last set of stats are the best which is strange as it is not in the test socket but if they remain stable like that then you need to ring Sky and get them to manually configure the line, it looks as if DLM has crippled it when it ran after the upgrade.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      The last set of stats are the best which is strange as it is not in the test socket but if they remain stable like that then you need to ring Sky and get them to manually configure the line, it looks as if DLM has crippled it when it ran after the upgrade.
      Thanks very much for your response. ^^

Well the letter I got informing me of the upgrade was on the 15th and I'm usually billed on the 17th, so I don't know if they'd already had me on it for a month or if it's been Unlimited since the 17th Feb. The problem started around late last month, but now that I think about it the sky website said my connection has had tests running on it "from the 26th of January 2010" for "10 days". It still said the tests were ongoing when I last checked on the 14th of February. It now says that "We are currently unable to display your broadband connection details." (If any of this helps! :P)

I've also only had around .4 MB the whole time I've been with Sky, I just never think about it usually and if possible, I'd like to get it sorted out.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow most likely, are there any cheap numbers I can use? If not I'll have a look around their website/the forum.

EDIT: Just woke up and saw this in my email inbox from Sky:
      " I have re-configured the settings on your broadband line in order to stabilise the connection. Please monitor your connection for the next 72hrs, and if you continue to experience any issues, feel free to contact us again."

Last edited by Heybunny; 22-02-10 at 08:54 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That looks more realistic and should be stable.

Thanks

Yep - everything seems to be working like a charm now. Is the upload speed supposed to be that different though?