Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Good speeds but can't download

This is a discussion on Good speeds but can't download within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I recently switched to Sky as it was cheaper and I hoped would be better than my old ISP. ...

markdw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Good speeds but can't download

Hello,

I recently switched to Sky as it was cheaper and I hoped would be better than my old ISP.

I seem to be getting decent speeds; web browsing, youtube videos etc all load up fast.
      The problem is when I try to download something it doesn't get above 0.4 KB/s. I tried to download a driver from Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies and it never gets above 0.4 KB/s. I tried this with a few other websites to make sure it wasn't nvidia and they are all the same. I don't think it's a speed issue as I'm getting the below speeds, it seems something is actually blocking the download?

There seems to be a problem with opening ports too (might be related). I set all the relevant details in the router config, check the port is open and all is good. 30 seconds later the port has closed! Each time I click apply in the firewall settings, the port opens but then 30 seconds later is closes again.

Any help is very much appreciated. Speed details below for reference...

Thanks,

Mark
      Last edited by markdw; 19-02-10 at 07:39 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Good speeds but can't download

With your attenuation you should be connecting much faster, around 16mb. Post your stats again from the test socket.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

markdw
      Hi Do you know that Sky Traffic Manage the connect package 5pm till Midnight here`s the connect section of T & Cs.

SKY BROADBAND CONNECT TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT POLICY

In addition to the monthly Usage Cap, this Traffic Management Policy applies to you if you take Sky Broadband Connect.

Excessive use during peak time

We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to Midnight each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority. If we consider that your usage is excessive during peak times we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day so that it has less affect on others. Only a very small number of customers will be affected by this (less than 2%). If you are affected, we will only slow down the speed you can get during peak times for applications which use a lot of bandwidth (for example, streaming, peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative effect on other customers. You will still be able to use Sky Broadband to do other things normally such as browsing, email, instant messaging and VOIP. There are no restrictions in place outside of peak times.

Traffic management of our Network

To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to Midnight each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.

There are lots of threads complaining about Sky Throttling the connect package.
      If you do a speed test use the Bt performance tester (below right) that will show you your actual speeds and that is the only test that Sky take notice of for the connect package. Do a test a copy the results and post on this thread.
      Hi Smithy it is taking a while to post
      Last edited by steve16751; 19-02-10 at 09:38 PM. Reason: slow posting

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

oops, didn't see the upload speed of 448, it seems that you are on Sky connect, this is over subscribed and has some serious capacity issues during peak hours (5-midnight).

The oly soloution is to move to a better managed ISP.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I did see lots of threads complaining about the throttling so perhaps the only option is to find another ISP. I've only had it around 2 weeks or so, what's the deal with canceling before the minimum contract is up? I'm obviously not getting a great service..

With regards to the throttling, I'm not sure this is what is causing it. I'm getting 0.4 KB/s download rate at any time during the day. I tested it at 3 am this morning and and 11 am with still the same results.

Results from the test socket were almost exactly the same as the main.

Any ideas? faulty router? dodgy line?

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What OS and version are you using? If it is XP try tweaking your settings with TCPOpimiser from the link below.

Do you have Sky Player installed.

Try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and do a speed test at Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

Are you using wireless?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Isitme,

I'm using Windows XP, and don't have Sky Player installed. I don't think it's a problem with the PC as I'm having exactly the same problem on my Mac. The PC is connected via wire and the mac is wireless.

Mark
      Results from the safe mode speed test:

We have detected that your ISP is Sky. Your download speed is 4072Kbps. Your upload speed is 374Kbps.

Thanks

Can you now do an Official BT Speedtest. I think you will find that your IP Profile is a bit low. You will find out how to do this in this thread -
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

That apart, your sync speed is a bit low for your attenuation, plug into your Test socket and take the results from there. Your internal wiring may be dragging your speed down.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Test results from the test socket:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2347 Kbps
      For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
      Additional Information:
      Your DSL Connection Rate :6528 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps

Thanks

It looks like several things are contributing to your problems. If you are only syncing at 6528 in the Test socket, there is a problem with your external line. With your attenuation you should be syncing at the maximum of 8128kbps, giving a throughput/profile of 7150kbps. Can you try rebooting, pullout the powerplug for a minute and put it back in again? Do this in the Test socket and see if your sync improves.

As things stand your Profile is too low for your sync, you should have a Profile of at least 5500. This could also be caused by the line condition.

Of course the main problem is the package you are on. You would be well advised to get out of it and find an Isp who does not throttle so severely. Sky seem to have a very flexible peak period which seems to be applied any time they wish.

TomD

Useful Utilites