Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another slow broadband unlimited question!

This is a discussion on Another slow broadband unlimited question! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have recently moved onto Unlimited at the start of the month but I am fairly sure that I have ...

Redsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ruislip
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Another slow broadband unlimited question!

I have recently moved onto Unlimited at the start of the month but I am fairly sure that I have seen no increase in the speed of my connection. I live quite close to the exchange and was really hoping that I could get a faster speed.

Can anyone tell from looking at my stats what speed I should be expecting to get?

I do have the router plugged into an upstairs phone socket (which I know is not ideal) as my pc is upstairs and I didn't want to run an ethernet cable up the stairs. Should I be calling Sky to get them to look into it?

NetGear DG834GT [Sky Firmware] V1-White

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
      Connection Speed5024 kbps379 kbps
      Line Attenuation27.0 db15.1 db
      Noise Margin10.9 db9.5 db

2. Advertisement
      Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Another slow broadband unlimited question!

With a line attenation of 27db on a clear line id expect 16Mb+ perhaps? (someone else could confirm)

The problem seems to be your low noise margin which could be caused from connecting to you upstair phone connection, is it possible for you to connect the router to the test socket behind your master socket faceplate (assuming you have this type) Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Then re-post your stats.

If you cant run ethernet cables upstairs then you could use homeplug/powerline adapters (runs a connection over the electric wiring in your home) assuming you have power sockets near your incoming phone line.

Either way it would be worth checking your stats to find out what speeds you may be missing out on even if you have to lug your pc downstairs....then you can look into a fix of connecting it with other methods.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Should I be calling Sky to get them to look into it?
      Waste of time at the moment, they may be able to give you about another 1 Mb, but you should have much more. You really must plug into the Test socket. Maybe you have a friend with a laptop who could take the stats for you? If not a long ethernet cable is the only way other than moving your PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

After looking at the guides and the other posts regarding master sockets I have worked out that I have old style BT socket (it has the old T logo on it) with no removable bottom half.

Should I be able to get a better connection here anyway?

Also, do i need to call BT to get this replaced with one of their new master sockets?

Thanks

Should I be able to get a better connection here anyway?
      You should but it will not be as good as the clean connection a test socket would give you.

BT will be happy to do it but they are liable to charge you about 100 for the pleasure. Replacing it yourself is not difficult. Some say it is against the Law, but that is not true. It is against BTs T & Cs. They are liable to charge you if you mess it up.

In the meantime pull the wire off the terminal 3 on the faceplate. This isthe ring wire, if not required with filters and can cause a lot of interference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I have bought some homeplugs and set up my modem downstairs in the (old) master socket. These are the stats I get on my pc via the homeplug connection. The noise margin looks a bit better.

Going to try my laptop directly plugged in to see if there is any difference.

Connection Speed5024 kbps606 kbps
      Line Attenuation27.0 db14.8 db
      Noise Margin18.8 db21.0 db

Thanks

hmm not really better plugged directly into the router.

I still need to check for the ring wire to see if that will improve my stats but anyone have a idea what speed I should be able to get now?

Connection Speed5024 kbps606 kbps
      Line Attenuation27.0 db14.5 db
      Noise Margin18.8 db20.0 db

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redsky View Post
      hmm not really better plugged directly into the router.
      It's much better connected to the master socket though!!!

Your noise margin has increased quite a lot which meand there is now less noise on the line so more speed is available, you just need to get Sky to uncap the line.

If you do not use the upstairs socket for anything anymore, it would be worth disconnecting it from the master socket all together (you can always connect it again in the future if needed).

Thanks

Looking at your stats you still appear to be on Everyday. It looks like you will get the maximum for that package, but not the 16Mb+ you could possibly get on unlimited.

As Smithy suggests, pull the extension and ring wires off, this will give you the maximum you can get.

Are you on Sky phone rental? It seems to take longer to upgrade the broadband with that than a normal BT line,

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Looking again at the socket I have the router plugged into now there is actually only one wire going into it. This means that it isn't the master socket doesn't it? Or does it just mean that the extension is spliced in somewhere further down the wire?

The wire and socket is actually loose and coming into my living room via a small hole in the wall so not sure where that comes from but this is an old house built in the 20's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast