Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrade to Unlimited- stuck for another 12 months? And BB speeds.

This is a discussion on Upgrade to Unlimited- stuck for another 12 months? And BB speeds. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, i got the mail yesterday advising i was over my usage limit which surprised me. i'm on everyday (10gb ...

kpm123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Upgrade to Unlimited- stuck for another 12 months? And BB speeds.

hi, i got the mail yesterday advising i was over my usage limit which surprised me. i'm on everyday (10gb allowance) and i dont really download films or watch iplayer often. i'm 21 days into my usage allowance. i considered the benefits of upgrading to unlimited and when i asked customer services about contract length and d/l speed they said as i was getting 3.5mbps download this wouldnt change if i went from everyday to unlimited. they also said i would be stuck for another 12months. both of these answers seem a bit alien to me?

regarding the d/l speed, i read somewhere on my online account yesterday that when i joined i was told i should be getting d/l speeds of 6.5mbps based on my location, but sky router settings page shows 3.5mbps and broadbandspeedchecker shows 2.5-3mbps. it did drop as low as 1.5mbps at one point for no reason and when i queried this they tweaked it upto 4.5mbps.

i can live with 3mbps, but surely i should expect a healthy increase in speed by going for unlimited, and surely i wouldnt be stuck for another 12months by upgrading? my contract is up in april this year.

thanks, kris

2. Advertisement
      topgeardog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cleveleys
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Upgrade to Unlimited- stuck for another 12 months? And BB speeds.

I was going to upgrade to unlimited, i get around 4meg, and i would not get any faster speeds just the allowence to download more, but my sky usage shows i use around 7gig a month so there no point in me paying an extra 5 a month for nothing. when my sky bill is around 70 a month.
      I use my computer everyday mostly for gaming which uses nothing at all really.
      Sky want you to upgrade so you get more allowence. i did not know that you have to start a new 12 deal with them though.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i can live with 3mbps, but surely i should expect a healthy increase in speed by going for unlimited, and surely i wouldnt be stuck for another 12months by upgrading? my contract is up in april this year.
      If your line is properly configured and you are only getting 3Mb, you will get no more if you upgrade. To benefit you would have to be getting near the maximum for your present package.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kpm123 View Post
      hi, i got the mail yesterday advising i was over my usage limit which surprised me. i'm on everyday (10gb allowance) and i dont really download films or watch iplayer often. i'm 21 days into my usage allowance. i considered the benefits of upgrading to unlimited and when i asked customer services about contract length and d/l speed they said as i was getting 3.5mbps download this wouldnt change if i went from everyday to unlimited. they also said i would be stuck for another 12months. both of these answers seem a bit alien to me?

regarding the d/l speed, i read somewhere on my online account yesterday that when i joined i was told i should be getting d/l speeds of 6.5mbps based on my location, but sky router settings page shows 3.5mbps and broadbandspeedchecker shows 2.5-3mbps. it did drop as low as 1.5mbps at one point for no reason and when i queried this they tweaked it upto 4.5mbps.

thanks, kris
      If the checker was acurate that you should expect 6.5mb, then its possable you are limiting your speed with poor setup or internal wiring.

Can you connect to your test socket Sky User - How to test your Master Socket and post your router stats.

Changing your bb package will not increse your speed as you are not even getting the full 10mb from the everyday pack.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok thanks. I've read that the Sky usage tool can be inaccurate. I'm using a net usage tool to monitor traffic, but it only monitors between what my pc is downloading and not if anyone is piggybacking. is there a usage tool that can tell me what my router is up/downloading?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

No, but I'd heard talk of it being built into the router before I left the company last year in a new FW update
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsldude View Post
      If the checker was acurate that you should expect 6.5mb, then its possable you are limiting your speed with poor setup or internal wiring.

Can you connect to your test socket Sky User - How to test your Master Socket and post your router stats.

Changing your bb package will not increse your speed as you are not even getting the full 10mb from the everyday pack.
      hi, i've connected to the test socket before when i was in the midst of complaining about my 1.5mb d/l speed. ill give this a go when i get home and post up. when you say router stats, is that the info i get from going to 192.168.0.1?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

these are my readings with router plugged into standard socket

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3424 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 db 30.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.9 db 22.0 db

these are my readings with router plugged into test socket

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3424 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 db 30.5 db
      Noise Margin 10.2 db 22.0 db

i'm using a reasonably short cable to connect the modem to a filter so i can use the phone line as well. did the modem come with an modem to phone socket cable? box is somewhere in the loft

edit: unless by cable you mean the ethernet cable, in which case im using wireless at the moment, but in the same room.
      Last edited by kpm123; 17-02-10 at 10:07 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i just done a check on broadbandspeedchecker and i got nearly 3mbps with the test socket where i usually get 2.5mbps. i dont have any extensions though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast