Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Everyday to Unlimited - Upgrade Question

This is a discussion on Everyday to Unlimited - Upgrade Question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well, two questions really .. Seeings as I've exceeded the 10GB limit on Sky Everyday this month, I am thinking ...

DigiBoxer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121 Beacon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102 + Apple Airport Extreme
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Everyday to Unlimited - Upgrade Question

Well, two questions really ..

Seeings as I've exceeded the 10GB limit on Sky Everyday this month, I am thinking of upgrading to Sky Unlimited.

These are my stats on the current everyday and getting around 7.6kbps download against the 10GB theoretical download.

Firstly .. If anyone in the know is able to ascertain from that what speed I am likely to be able to receive "in the real world" if I did upgrade to Unlimited ...

and secondly, how long does it take to do the upgrade. Has someone from BT got to go and fiddle with his bits down the exchange, or is it something Sky press a few buttons with to get done?

Many thanks!

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Everyday to Unlimited - Upgrade Question

From the stats at the moment, you're not going to be able to push out anything more if you upgraded. It is all down to your attenuation i.e. line length and quality of the telephone line. I could imagine if you have a good quality telephone line that you could perhaps push out some more from your attenuation. Plug into your test socket with no extension cables and just the short grey dsl cable sky supplied and re-post the stats to confirm whether you could push out anything more at all.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

If you're not going to get any different stats from the test socket, then that's all you're going to push out. On that note, if sky changed your profile to g.dmt, you'd push out 8mbps.

Thanks

Many thanks for the reply, I will try that as the router is plugged into an upstairs extension (where it's been for years). If I plug it directly into the test socket and look at the stats again, would it be an instant update when I looked, or would I have to leave it plugged in for a week or so for it to settle down and give a true figure?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

If there is more to come the Noise margin will shoot up into double figures - this alone is enough to make it worth while leaving it in the master socket.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

would it be an instant update when I looked
      Yes, your speed may not increase much as you are probably capped, but your noise margin should rise. If you are not capped you speed would increase immediately, you don't have to wait.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thank you both for the replies. I will have a go at that this afternoon then (once I shift the sideboard out the way to get access to the master socket) and I'll report back with my findings. Cheers!

Thanks

Remember it is the Test socket you are looking for, the master may not be much better.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Right then, that was easy enough .. I've removed the face plate and plugged the filter into the test socket, then plugged the router into that (assuming thats right).

Original Stats - Plugged into extension cable upstairs

These are the stats immediately visible when instead plugged straight into the test socket via a filter.

No change in the Line Attenuation, thats still 41.5db .. but the Noise Margin has shot up from 4.7db to 13.9db - if that would make any difference to speed?

(I do intend replacing the existing telephone extension to upstairs as thats been down for years and is a little worse for wear, but has always given me a decent enough speed).

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

that will now give about 8-10Mbps roughly - you wouldn't get more downstream on Unlimited but upstream would increase and there'd be no download limits...your call really
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

While you have the faceplate off, if there is a wire connected to terminal 3, pull it off. This is the ring wire which is not required and can cause interference. When this is done, you may find you get a better result from your extension, but you can't beat fitting and using a filtered faceplate..

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast