Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Everyday to Unlimited - Upgrade Question

This is a discussion on Everyday to Unlimited - Upgrade Question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme While you have the faceplate off, if there is a wire connected to terminal 3, pull ...

DigiBoxer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0121 Beacon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102 + Apple Airport Extreme
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Re: Everyday to Unlimited - Upgrade Question

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      While you have the faceplate off, if there is a wire connected to terminal 3, pull it off. This is the ring wire which is not required and can cause interference. When this is done, you may find you get a better result from your extension, but you can't beat fitting and using a filtered faceplate..
      When I remove the faceplate, there are no wires attached directly to it, the whole thing just has a plug that goes into the master socket itself, so I can't see if there's a wire connected to terminal three. However, I do have a BT iPlate that sits between the test socket and the faceplate (which as I understand it, effectively removes that connection to terminal three).

As it happens, I have got a fully filtered dual faceplate ready to be fitted (when I get round to it when I fit the replacement extension wiring to upstairs), that I got from Clarity a while back.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have no wires on the master socket faceplate, then your extension is incorrectly wired. Unless, that is, unless you are using a B&Q type extension which plugs into the faceplate. If so that is the reason for the poor performance in the extension.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If you have no wires on the master socket faceplate, then your extension is incorrectly wired. Unless, that is, unless you are using a B&Q type extension which plugs into the faceplate. If so that is the reason for the poor performance in the extension.
      Ah yes, that would explain it then! It not a hard wired extension into the faceplate, it's one that plugs into the phone socket (with a spare input for the phone on the sideboard next to it), and the wire then runs upstairs to a couple of sockets I put up there. Thinking about it, in hindsight, that would be quite obvious where the weak link is! (Particularly as its old thin wiring that's been down for many years). I am guessing then that when I hard wire the extension to a dual filtered faceplate (like the one I posted above), that would give me a far better performance on the extension.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

buy this...

BT NTE-2000 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5

and dump the iPlate
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

It certainly would. But be sure to use proper twisted pair cable, either Cat5e or CW1308,
      Types of cable - ADSL Nation Technology Guide

He has one of these - http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm
      Last edited by Isitme; 17-02-10 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Corrected URL

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      buy this...

BT NTE-2000 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5

and dump the iPlate
      That looks very similar to the one I have got ready to fit that I got from Clarity

It certainly would. But be sure to use proper twisted pair cable, either Cat5e or CW1308,
      Types of cable - ADSL Nation Technology Guide
      When I bought the Clarity Faceplate, I bought 15m of Cat5e twisted cable as part of the extension kit, which I'm sure will do the job far better once hard wired to the faceplate.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the one I posted the OEM BT one, not a copy

EDIT: that's the same one, thought it was a clarity own brand one
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

There is one thing I have noticed and that is that the faceplate you have may not have unfiltered terminals on the face plate. This is just by looking at the photo, it only seems to have 3, which will 2, 3 and 5..

If you want to hardwire a broadband connection you need one with A-B connections on the plate. Can you have a look?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I've had a look at the one in the box, and it's got connections, 2/3/4/5/A/B

From the vague looking instructions in the box, A/B appear to be for the pure ADSL signal) - so would use the green & green/white wires in those, with blue & blue/white going into 2 and 5 (believe I don't use connection 4 at all, and can leave out the orange connection to 3 as that's the bellwire mentioned previously?) - with the same connections in the extension socket upstairs (and have got a dual faceplate extension, one socket for the ADSL modem & the other for a phone).

Thanks

You would connect the wires going to your extension to the A-B terminals, which are unfiltered. It does not matter what colour the wires are as long as you use the same coloured pair. I am not sure about what socket you have on the extension. If it has 2 separate connections then you would run one coloured pair from the A-B terminals to the ADSL connection and run another pair from the 2-5 terminals to the phone connection. If it only has one connection in, one pair of wires would do, but you would need to plug the phone into a filter.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast