Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master socket & I plate

This is a discussion on Master socket & I plate within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I had Sky BB Unlimited acitivated yesterday. I've fitted an I-Plate over the master socket as I've got 2 ...

shep is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield, Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Master socket & I plate

Hi,

I had Sky BB Unlimited acitivated yesterday. I've fitted an I-Plate over the master socket as I've got 2 extensions to other rooms wired into the master socket. I then decided I wanted to test the connection at the engineers test socket (getting around 2.5mbps download, to be honest wasn't expecting much more - though the girl on the phone at Sky said I could expect between 10 and 20mb, I asked her if she'd checked the line and she said yes - I live a distance from the exchange so not expecting anything like that though), however after I fitted the face plate back onto the I-Plate the 2 screws have become "threaded", and I can't get them out! So I've hacked away at it a bit and managed to lift the faceplate over the screws without taking them out. So now I've got access to the I-plate plugged into the master socket.

Anyway to cut a long story short, my question is, by plugging straight into the socket on the I-Plate would this be the same as plugging straight into the engineers test socket behind it (giving me no reason to hack any further to get the I-Plate off!).

cheers

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Master socket & I plate

The main reason for using an iPlate is to filter the bell wire. Almost the same result can be got from simply removing the bell wire from the No 3 terminal. Plugging into the Test socket isolates all the internal wiring, including the bell wire. So no, the results from the faceplate with iPlate fitted and the Test socket are not the same. The extension wiring can cause a lot of interference, hence why fitting a filtered faceplate is a far better bet that an iPlate.

Post your stats for an idea on what you can get.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

shep is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield, Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've tested it with just the I-Plate plugged in, without the faceplate. That's what I'm wondering if it's the same as plugging into the engineers test socket - as the I-plate just plugs straight into that. The results were roughly same as testing it with everything plugged in (ie inc faceplate)

I've got a filtered faceplate that an openreach engineer fitted to a different line coming into my office (it's a separate phone line on a different number for work that I've had lots of issues with - hence taking out Sky BB on my home phoneline...it's a long story!). Once I'm happy that Sky is up and running ok I'll be cancelling the other ISP from the office line and cancelling that line altogether so I will move that faceplate to my home line. Which will probably mean sawing the heads off the screws to get the damn I-Plate off!!

I'm assuming Sky will be starting to test the connection shortly (if they haven't already - how do I know if they've started?).

My initial stats are:

Connection Speed 2976 down, 512 up
      Line Attenuation 61.0db down, 31.5 up
      Noise margin 8.6db down, 14.0 up

cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With your attenuation you are not going to get a lot more. Keep your eye on it as when DLM stats it will probably drop your speed to start with. It usually does on long lines such as yours.Keep your router plugged in and check the log in the router settings, DLM usually resyncs it in the early hours, which will give you an idea if it is running. It should also tell you on your MySky page, but this is not always so.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.