Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adding 2nd router to extend wifi range?

This is a discussion on Adding 2nd router to extend wifi range? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Im using the Sagaem sky router for my connect product and also have an (unused) existing netgear router. We ...

northy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01834
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Adding 2nd router to extend wifi range?

Hi

Im using the Sagaem sky router for my connect product and also have an (unused) existing netgear router.

We have an old house with very thick walls so the Sagem signall doesnt extend as far as id like (i have changed channles, cannot physically move it easily due to the BT line entry, and want to explore this no cost option before i try plugs etc)

So - specifically:
      Can i configure the netgear router to wirelessly extend the Sagem wifi signal?

I have read a number of conflicting posts elsewhere that this is possible...but get stuck / confused in terms of what the settings on the netgear need to be (disable DHCP, static IP address outside of Sagem DHCP min / max? Same SSIS as the Sagem? etc etc)

Can someone give me any defintive advice on what to set up on the netgear router??

Many Thanks,
      Northy

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Adding 2nd router to extend wifi range?

No, you would have to link the two router with an ethernet cable to do this.

Thanks

Smithy99

OK - can you tell me how to do it if the two routers are connected via ethernet?
      ie what settings i need to make on my 2nd router?

As way of compromise i will connect via ethernet to the Sagem in the office....but then want to connect to the Netgear router wirelessly in the rest of the house, as its signal is stonger than the Sagem one on the other side of the house (netgear signal reaches but sagem does not).

I have tried plugging in the ethernet from the netgear into the Sagem, and i can work on the lan / ethernet...but when i go wireless, i seem to have to pull out / in the ethernet cables to kinda "refresh" the connection? Same then goes for when i want to revert back to the ethernet in the office....doesnt connect until i pull out the cable to the netgear router.

Are there some eg ip settings on the 2nd netgear router i need to set up?

Many Thanks in advance!
      Northy

Thanks

so just to clarify - the 2 routers are sitting next to each other (connected via ethernet) in my office.

- When in the office, i will connect direct to the Sagem / adsl via another ethernet cable to my laptop.

- When out of the office / in the rest of the house, i want to connect wirelessly to the Netgear router...that in turn is connected via ethernet to my Sky Sagem box.

Makes sense?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You may find that the reception from the Netgear is no better than the Sagem. Have you checked it. You should be able to do this by turning off the wireless in the Sagem, plug in the Netgear, it does not need to be connected to the Sagem, see if you are getting a signal in parts of the house you want it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

yes - netgear has a better signal...regardless of channel...hence the idea of using this one....maybe cos its got an antenna?

(note - the netgear signal isnt in a different league - its only "one bar", but its consistent whereas the Sagem fluctuates between one and no bars on the far side of the house - so sometimes doesnt connect....the netgear always does)

Thanks

alternatively it seems in theory i could fudge it and use the netgear router to connect to sky adsl directly (take the sagem out of the loop)...but im unsure of the contractual risks here...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There are many using their own routers, with no problems reported so far. I would think Sky would give a warning before they cut you off, if they want to enforce their T & Cs strictly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

I currently have my sagem router connected to my belkin n1 router to give me better wireless range.

I Just turned off WIFI on the sagem and put my Belkin into a mode to enable it just as an "access point", connected the 2 with an ethernet lead and setup the wireless securty on the Belkin sorted.

If ure Netgear doesnt give you the option to switch it to work as just an access point you will need to disable DHCP on it otherwise both routers will try and assign you an IP address.

shulbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01730
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Hi There. I had the same problem a few months back and fixed the problem both with Sky and a BT setup I also look after. If anyone is still interesting in how to achieve this, I can supply details. But in nutshell, here is what I did:

1) On the sky router, restricted the dynamic IP range to guarantee a static one for the second router
      2) On my laptop, switched OFF wireless and hooked up to the second router via a network cable and a) changed it's IP address to a static one (I chose 192.168.0.100) and b) CRUTIALLY disabled it's acting as a DHCP server. Also switched wireless on, chose a non-competing channel to the sky router, separate SSID etc.
      3) Using a pair of devolo home plugs I then connected one of the Sky router network ports to one Devolo, and then upstairs plugged in the 2nd devolo and connected the second router to it via ethernet.

HAving done this, I effectively have two wireless networks in my house. But If I connect to the "upstairs" wireless network, I get allocated an IP address straight from the Sky router no problem. But I am connecting to it through wireless > 2nd router > mains wiring ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast