Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Adding 2nd router to extend wifi range?

This is a discussion on Adding 2nd router to extend wifi range? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi What make is your 2nd Router? I have tried this and think there is a problem with my addidtional ...

i_hawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Adding 2nd router to extend wifi range?

Hi

What make is your 2nd Router?

I have tried this and think there is a problem with my addidtional Edimax Router as it has an IP Address starting 192.168.2.1, although I have tried to change it to 192.168.0.1 it seems to conflict somehow!!!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by shulbert View Post
      Hi There. I had the same problem a few months back and fixed the problem both with Sky and a BT setup I also look after. If anyone is still interesting in how to achieve this, I can supply details. But in nutshell, here is what I did:

1) On the sky router, restricted the dynamic IP range to guarantee a static one for the second router
      2) On my laptop, switched OFF wireless and hooked up to the second router via a network cable and a) changed it's IP address to a static one (I chose 192.168.0.100) and b) CRUTIALLY disabled it's acting as a DHCP server. Also switched wireless on, chose a non-competing channel to the sky router, separate SSID etc.
      3) Using a pair of devolo home plugs I then connected one of the Sky router network ports to one Devolo, and then upstairs plugged in the 2nd devolo and connected the second router to it via ethernet.

HAving done this, I effectively have two wireless networks in my house. But If I connect to the "upstairs" wireless network, I get allocated an IP address straight from the Sky router no problem. But I am connecting to it through wireless > 2nd router > mains wiring ...

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i_hawk View Post
      Hi

What make is your 2nd Router?

I have tried this and think there is a problem with my addidtional Edimax Router as it has an IP Address starting 192.168.2.1, although I have tried to change it to 192.168.0.1 it seems to conflict somehow!!!

Cheers
      You will have to change the IP address of the Edimax to one in the same range as the Sky router, but not 192.168.0.1 as this is the address of the main router. Change the address to 192.168.0.254 and turn of its DHCP server..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks isitme,

Tried that, but it still wouldn't connect.

I have it patched to the sky box via the LAN ports (not the WAN). Also I cannot connect to the Router after changing the IP address to check the AP settings. I have even been on the IPV4 settings and made the IP Address as 192.168.0.254 and the gateway 192.168.0.1, but for some reason Iit doesn't connect and sometimes I get IP conflict messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You will have to change the IP address of the Edimax to one in the same range as the Sky router, but not 192.168.0.1 as this is the address of the main router. Change the address to 192.168.0.254 and turn of its DHCP server..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i_hawk View Post
      Thanks isitme,

Tried that, but it still wouldn't connect.

I have it patched to the sky box via the LAN ports (not the WAN). Also I cannot connect to the Router after changing the IP address to check the AP settings. I have even been on the IPV4 settings and made the IP Address as 192.168.0.254 and the gateway 192.168.0.1, but for some reason Iit doesn't connect and sometimes I get IP conflict messages.
      I am not too sure what you mean by this, but if you are changing your PC to 254, it will conflict as that is the address of the router. If you want to connect a PC directly to your second router to change the IPv4 IP to 192.168.0.200, gateway 192.168.0.254, connect your Edimax router and reboot the PC. You should then be able to enter the settings by typing 192.168.0.254 in the address bar.

Did you check the Sky router's Attached Devices to see if the Edimax was connecting? Is your Edimax an ADSL router? ie can you connect it direct to the Internet by plugging it into the phone line?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh I see what you mean, I think!!

Firstly to get one question out of the way, no my Edimax is purley a Wireless N Router.

Just to test my understanding then (every day I deal with networking the less I learn!!! LOL)

- My netgear has an IP of 192.168.0.1 which I will leave alone.
      - The Edi Router ( BR-6574n ) I will change to 192.168.0.254 and gateway to 192.168.0.1 via the browser and switch off the DHCP
      - My Edi Repeater (EW-7416APn) I will change to 192.168.0.200 and gateway to 192.168.0.1 via the browser

To gain access to any of the set up screens I will then plug it in via a patch cable and and go into the IPv4 settings putting in a none conflicting ip address but using the gateway of 200 or 254.

Sorry if I've confused the whole issue but I'm just trying to get my head around this.

Thanks

Rich

I am not too sure what you mean by this, but if you are changing your PC to 254, it will conflict as that is the address of the router. If you want to connect a PC directly to your second router to change the IPv4 IP to 192.168.0.200, gateway 192.168.0.254, connect your Edimax router and reboot the PC. You should then be able to enter the settings by typing 192.168.0.254 in the address bar.

Did you check the Sky router's Attached Devices to see if the Edimax was connecting? Is your Edimax an ADSL router? ie can you connect it direct to the Internet by plugging it into the phone line?

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

personally adding a second router and configuring it to use internet and without conflicting is a pain

Thanks

If it is purely a router then you may want to consider connecting it through the DMZ. This would allow you to use its full features, plus free up a port as you would use the WAN port to connect it to the Sky router.

As before change the IP address of the router to 192.168.0.254, gateway 192.168.0.1. Change the DHCP Server Start and Finish addresses by changing the zero (0) to a one(1) . Make sure you save all the changes.

When you have done that go into the Sky routers settings, click the Advanced tab, then the WAN link. Check the Default DMZ Server box and put 192.168.0.254, into the address box. Make sure you save all the changes.

Connect a cable between a LAN port on the Sky router and the WAN port of the Edimax. Connect your PC to the Edimax, you may have to reboot it to find the new server. Make sure your PC's LAN settings are left at Automatic. You should be able to connect to the Internet. You will have configure the wireless settings in the Edimax, so it would probably be better if you disable the wireless in the Sky router to avoid interference..

I think you may have to set your repeater to connect to the Edimax, so the gateway would be 192.168.0.254. It would be better to get the first part right before you try connecting it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Really good advice.

I will try all of your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

If it is purely a router then you may want to consider connecting it through the DMZ. This would allow you to use its full features, plus free up a port as you would use the WAN port to connect it to the Sky router.

As before change the IP address of the router to 192.168.0.254, gateway 192.168.0.1. Change the DHCP Server Start and Finish addresses by changing the zero (0) to a one(1) . Make sure you save all the changes.

When you have done that go into the Sky routers settings, click the Advanced tab, then the WAN link. Check the Default DMZ Server box and put 192.168.0.254, into the address box. Make sure you save all the changes.

Connect a cable between a LAN port on the Sky router and the WAN port of the Edimax. Connect your PC to the Edimax, you may have to reboot it to find the new server. Make sure your PC's LAN settings are left at Automatic. You should be able to connect to the Internet. You will have configure the wireless settings in the Edimax, so it would probably be better if you disable the wireless in the Sky router to avoid interference..

I think you may have to set your repeater to connect to the Edimax, so the gateway would be 192.168.0.254. It would be better to get the first part right before you try connecting it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Tell me about it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      personally adding a second router and configuring it to use internet and without conflicting is a pain

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Isitme

Sorry, thick question. The DHCP part of your post, does it mean I should put the start as 192.168.0.1 and the end to 192.168.0.1??

I only ask as it seems a bit odd to have the same ip addresses

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast