Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reasonable dl speeds, but slow *actual* download speeds

This is a discussion on Reasonable dl speeds, but slow *actual* download speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, In the router stats page, my router is showing I have a downstream speed of 3067 kbps and speedtest.net ...

olliea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Reasonable dl speeds, but slow *actual* download speeds

Hi,

In the router stats page, my router is showing I have a downstream speed of 3067 kbps and speedtest.net are saying that my speed is 2.62 mbps. Now both of these are admittedly slow, but acceptable anyway.

Now, the issue comes when I am actually downloading a file. At most I will get 310 kb/sec. This seems to be a lot less than what my router stats are saying I can get. This is when I am downloading a regular file in a regular browser. I have also tested this on multiple computers, operating systems, files and browsers.

But the interesting part is when I was downloading a torrent file, I paused it and the resumed it. For about 5-10 seconds after resuming the download again I was getting about 1.5 mb/sec download speed, but shortly after it went back down to what seems like a cap of 315 kb/sec.

Does anyone have any idea why this is doing this or how I can sort it out?

Router stats:

Speedtest.net results:

Thanks for any help,
      Ollie

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Reasonable dl speeds, but slow *actual* download speeds

I don't know if this is a case of getting mixed up between bits and bytes. Your sync speed, less overheads, will give you a download speed of around 2600 kilobits per second. This equates to an actual data transfer rate of 320 kilobytes per second. There is no way you could actually get 1.5 Megabytes per sec, I am not sure why it should show that, but it if probably something to do with buffering. You would need a connection speed of around 14-15,000 kbps to get that.

That being said, you speed is capped, maybe due to your internal wiring, which in your last post, was causing problems. You can sort this out by fitting a filtered face plate which will isolate your internal wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, it has cleared up things for me. But I don't know if its worth mentioning but I actually have it connected to the master socket at the moment, and without it connected to the master socket I don't get anywhere near adequate speeds. I can't remember what it was I was getting, but far less than now, I think it was somewhere near 300 kbps.

Ollie
      -Ollie

Thanks

The master socket is not the Test socket, you will still get interference from other wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Right ok, so I need to buy a filtered face plate, remove the current face plate and install the new one? I think I understand now.

Thanks

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Filtered plate would help yes, might also want to check that your second socket is wired correctly to your master socket as that can seriously impact speeds.

Thanks

Can you advise one how to check or do you know of any guides about checking the wiring, as I have no idea what I am looking for, or what to Google. Thanks.
      -Ollie

Thanks

Just check that the wires connected to the 2 and 5 terminals are a pair. eg. the wires should be blue/white and white/blue, the colours may be different but they must be paired. These should be connected to the same numbered terminals in the extensions. A filtered faceplate will isolate any problems with the internal wiring from the ADSL signal. Even if correctly wired, extension wiring can act like an aerial, picking up interference.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Ok, it seems to wired ok, there is a blue/white wire going into terminal 2 and a white/blue going into terminal 5. Although I have noticed that there is a loose white/orange wire that looks like it should go into terminal 4. Should I connect this or just leave it alone?

EDIT: It looks like the loose wire should be paired with the orange/white wire going into terminal 3.
      -Ollie

Thanks

The orange wire is the 'ring' wire, if it is in terminal 3, pull it out and tuck it out of the way. It is not required when using filters and can cause interference.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast