Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Serious problem with Sky, please help needed!!

This is a discussion on Serious problem with Sky, please help needed!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everybody, this is a bit tricky to explain so please bare with me! For the past few months i've ...

jimbell1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Serious problem with Sky, please help needed!!

Hi everybody, this is a bit tricky to explain so please bare with me!
      For the past few months i've been trying to get my broadband set up through O2, mainly because i dont want the sky package of tv etc and i've had nothing from grief from Sky in the past.
      I used to have a lodger living here with me who had the Sky package with the +box and broadband. He moved out over 6 months ago and had his package transfered to his new house a few towns over.
      Now my problem is this, everytime i apply for O2, they complain saying they cant take control of the line because Sky have put a marker on it and only Sky can remove it. I called Sky who said it was a B.T problem and to call them.....so i did, they said i needed to call O2.....who said i needed to call Sky...and so on and so on, for 3 MONTHS!!!
      I even got my old lodger to come round and speak to Sky for me because he had all his account details, after nearly two hours on the phone to a guy who really wasnt very forthcoming, i was told that i was to call technical support for BT to request a "start, stop" on my line.
      I called the number Sky gave me to make this happen, the woman from BT said she had never herd of such a procedure and to call O2 as they have the power to take the line over.
      Back to O2 for another hour who told me to call Sky again!!
      Im sure you can understand my frustration about this, this only thing i can think of as to why this is happening is maybe a little under the table naughtyness on Sky's part, ..im thinking that most people would give up on going with another isp and go with Sky to save the hassle of getting this fixed. Sky did say on the phone that they could get the whole Sky package set up in my house in under a week, if i decided to go with them intead!!
      I don't want to go with Sky, i want to go with O2.....thats my choice and i kinda feel like Sky are trying to bully me into going with them. There must be some way of sorting this out so if anybody has any ideas or things to try, please please let me know, im losing my mind!!
      Thanks peeps
      Jim

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Serious problem with Sky, please help needed!!

If O2 want your business O2 will deal with this. All they need to do is ask BT to remove the marker on the line. If the old account was in your lodgers name and he didn't cancel the contract properly then it's his fault and not Skys. Did he transfer or just take out a new contract at his new property to get around the install fees?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Paul, cheers for the speedy reply
      Yeah he just transfered the account to his new adress along with the broadband which moved to his new phoneline.
      O2 say that they cant remove the marker because for some odd reason its apparently "illegal" for them to do so.
      I had already placed the order with O2 on my card but after 28 days they cancel it if they cant get control of the line.
      I've spend in total about 3 hours on the phone to O2, spoke to the supervisor who told me that it was Skys problem....so i called Sky and round i go again!!
      Your just hitting the tip of the iceberg my friend, belive me!!!!
      Thanks for your input mate
      Jim

Exchange:
      Thanks

O2 are talking rubbish if it's a standard BT telephone line. They can easily request the removal of the marker and they should do this without complaining. BT were correct in telling you that O2 should be sorting this as there is a BT department that O2 contact for this sort of thing.
      Basically your mate transferred service, a marker was left on your line by Sky in error, there is no longer a contract for supply with them so they have no right to touch the line any more so it's up to O2 to get BT to remove the tag.
      I take it you have no Sky contracts of any kind anymore? Any tags on line would be removed if the TV service is terminated as far as I know and 20 days later you would be free to order O2 (if not sooner).

Exchange:
      Thanks

No theres no Sky contacts here anymore, the last time i tried to setup O2 was back in November and my lodger moved out six months previous and they still said there was a marker on the line.
      Is there any special numbers i can call because ive called O2 loads of times and just get the same answer!

Thanks again Paul
      Jim

Exchange:
      Thanks

O2 are passing the buck, their sales people can put it through to the correct department for tag removal. Tell that BT will only deal with the new ISP on tag removal requests and if they want you to sign an ADSL contract with them then they need to get the tag removed. It takes one call from their department to get it done.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah that makes much more sense now thank you!
      I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how i get on.
      Thanks again mate, i really do appriciate it
      jim

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The only problem I can see is if the phone was on the SVBN. In this case no one can get on it until Sky pull their plug out at the exchange. If your phone line is working OK with BT that will not be the case. I think what has happened is that Sky have moved the line without using a MAC. If they had, the tag would have been removed as soon as the other line was activated. Being an 'inhouse' transfer they have not bothered with the MAC, leaving you in the mess you are in.

Have a look at this Ofcom page for more help.
      If you are having problems with ordering Broadband (Tag on the line) | Ofcom

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

if there are no Sky contracts there anymore then they shouldn't be on the SVBN...a quick call to get through to your 1571 VM will tell you if it's BT or Sky as the message is related to the provider...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket