Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection issues

This is a discussion on Connection issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good afternoon all. I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm currently having. Changed over from Virgin about ...

BleachedEgo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Connection issues

Good afternoon all.

I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm currently having.

Changed over from Virgin about a month ago to Sky Connect (only option where I live). The connection speeds to the outside world is ok, circa 6meg, about the same as what I was receiving from Virgin.

Where my issue lies is with Usenet. For some reason I cannot connect to a news server at all. I'm lucky if I get over 2.0kbp/s at the moment. I have tried both NewsLeecher and I donwloaded a trial of UseNext to see if there was an issue with giganews, but that's exactly the same. This happens regardless of which PC in the house I use. The connection to the server is active, but hardly anything downloads, other than just sporadical bursts of 1 - 2 kbp/s. Usenext is exactly the same. This happens at anytime, day or night.

Now I've opened the ports on this crappy Sagem router they have supplied and have also 'found' my username and password settings and ran it through my own Netgear router, which also has the ports opened and worked perfectly with Virgin. But alas, exactly the same issue. Funnily enough when I then go to an online open port checker it tells me that my ports aren't open, but I know they are. I've opened them manually and via a port opening software tool, on both routers.
      Torrents seem to run ok'ish, not brilliantly fast, but between average and poor.

This has all just happened since Sky Connect was active. Everything worked perfectly until they took over. I'm getting to the end of my tether with it all and wish I had never joined with Sky. No matter what I do nothing seems to work. So I'm hoping someone out there has had this same issue or can offer me some words of advice.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Connection issues

Many here have found that Connect is not fit for purpose. Have a read at this thread and the many others complaining about Connect.
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

The usual advice is to get your MAC and leave.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The usual advice is to get your MAC and leave.
      Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I'm only a month into the 12 month contract. What is the cancellation clause like with Sky? Is there any way out of the agreement without buying my way out.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

BleachedEgo
      Hi Isitme say`s there lots of threads about the connect issue. The things that are missed out are weekends day and night plus any holidays day and night
      and as you will see on the threads it is not Traffic Managed it is Throttling.

SKY BROADBAND CONNECT TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT POLICY

In addition to the monthly Usage Cap, this Traffic Management Policy applies to you if you take Sky Broadband Connect.

Excessive use during peak time

We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to Midnight each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority. If we consider that your usage is excessive during peak times we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day so that it has less affect on others. Only a very small number of customers will be affected by this (less than 2%). If you are affected, we will only slow down the speed you can get during peak times for applications which use a lot of bandwidth (for example, streaming, peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative effect on other customers. You will still be able to use Sky Broadband to do other things normally such as browsing, email, instant messaging and VOIP. There are no restrictions in place outside of peak times.

Traffic management of our Network

To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to Midnight each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.

ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY

Irrespective of which Product you have subscribed to, our Acceptable Use Policy ("AUP") will apply to you and those who you allow to use Sky Broadband.

If you have any queries about our AUP, you can contact us by emailing abuse@sky.com.

If you want to read it all here is the Sky T&Cs Sky.com - Sky Products>Broadband>Terms and Conditions

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

The problem is that I'm only a month into the 12 month contract
      Up to present Sky have been allowing users to leave without penalty, although if you ask, you will be told you have to pay up your contract. To the best of my knowledge, this has never happened.

To be on the safe side, do some performance tests on the official BT tester, link in the thread. You can then produce these as proof of a lamentable service, should you need to do so. When you decide to leave get your MAC first, do not mention cancelling or they will simply cut you off and you will then be unable to get a MAC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

BleachedEgo
      Hi I have found this as an example on the 21-09-09. There are many more.

"Dear FiggyP
      I am sorry to hear that you no longer want to continue with your Sky Broadband service.
      I note that you have used the mac code issued to you and I have therefore cancelled the sky broadband service on your account with 30 days notice added and I am pleased to advise no early cancellation penalties have been added.
      30 days have been applied for cancellation as this in line with the terms and conditions and also to give your new provider time to take over the line from Sky.
      Please note that it can take up to 14 days for our service to be fully removed from your telephone line after you have submitted your cancellation request.
      If at any time in the future, you would like to re-subscribe to Sky’s Broadband service, you can email me at the address provided and I would be happy to welcome you back."

Hope this helps people also wishing to leave the connect service who are experience ridiculously slow speeds due to the traffic shaping.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Today I received my new Netgear router as the guys at tech support thought the Sagem router was to blame. But I have exactly the same problem. Tried the router today before the 'throttling time', and NewsLeecher still struggles to connect to the servers and UseNext still the same. I've even tried Binverse on a free trial, but exactly the same. Again, this is on any one of my 3 pc's, wired or wireless.

Also, even with this new Netgear router I go through the motions of opening ports. All looks good, then I go to check if the ports forwarded, nothing.

I currently have an issue in place with the service team and have explained that if they cannot fix my issues then I will be cancelling. But, in the meanwhile, does anyone know what the hell is going on with these connections. I consider myself to be fairly switched on tech wise, but this has got me stumped.