Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dreadful Internet Speed

This is a discussion on Dreadful Internet Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ak9779 Hi go to your my sky login and go to Broadband will show what package you are on if ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Dreadful Internet Speed

ak9779
      Hi go to your my sky login and go to Broadband will show what package you are on

if you connect to the computer near the router and no other connection do the stats get any better also does your master socket have a test socket if so can you do the stats from there as well
      Sorry I meant the computer near the master socket that one alone to do the test

2. Advertisement
      ak9779 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The downstairs one had a microfilter in but the empty main one didn't. I plugged one into the main one anyway although I can't see how it would help...

The stats havn't changed at all although I didn't reboot the router because my brother is on the Internet at the moment and pretty sure plugging a microfilter into the empty socket won't help (unless someone here tells me it will).

As for the test socket thing - when we phoned Sky for the first time (when the router was downstairs but not in the main socket) they ran some tests, probably getting the router statistics. They then told us to move it into the main socket, and ran the tests. They then told us to unscrew the socket and put it into one in there, which I presume is this 'test' socket you mean. They then told us that the distance must be too long between the router and the computers, so it seems like that didn't make a difference.

That was before they have upped the speed (where they said it would take 10 days) though so I'm willing to try it again if there are no other suggestions for now (other than phoning Sky - I'll do that after I've tested it in the Test socket). Remember though that because it's on the bottom floor, it has to go up 2 sets of stairs so the wireless connection is often like 2/5 bars when I put it down there which doesn't help... But that doesn't affect the router statistics does it? I'll test that if you post saying that's the best thing to try now.

Smithy - I'm not that techy so less big words please! Ok so when you say 'CST' does that mean Customer Service Team? I'm assuming it's just the normal people I end up talking to when I phone them up. When you said '2MB may be all that you get anyway', remember that I'm probably on the lowest Sky package possible because of my area (when my Mum spoke to them once I heard them say we cannot upgrade; whether or not that means we are on the lowest package or the highest possible, or whether they are both the same thing, I don't know... I'll ask her when she gets home for a letter from Sky to see if that has the package we have on...) so 2MB sounds OK, especially since its 4 times better than I'm getting now...

Finally can you tell me what you mean by 'G.dmt line profile'? So I'd just phone and say that I'm having slow connection speeds and have tried everything blah blah blah, 'Can you manually configure my line and put me on the Gee dot Dee Emm Tee profile?' And they'd know what I meant?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok so here's my plan of action:

1) Reboot router from router settings and get router statistics and do Internet Speed test on this computer (using Ethernet cable)

2) Do Internet Speed test and get router statistics on my brother's laptop (using Ethernet cable)

3) Plug router into Test socket downstairs, reboot router from router settings and get statistics on this computer, as well as an Internet Speed test

4) Get statistics on laptop upstairs (just incase they vary) and Internet Speed test

5) Take laptop downstairs to right next to the router and get router settings and Internet Speed test if it lets me connect which it may not since, as said in my first post, the laptop will not connect for some reason (although it connects to the old router...)

6) Plug ethernet cable into laptop and get router settings and Internet Speed test

7) Post results

Does that sound good?

Thanks

ak9779
      Hi if you have not got the router in the master socket then you must be using extention that means you will be dropping speed. With a high attenuation of 63.5 as Smithy99 said you need to ring Sky and speak to CST, to remove the cap and they can manually configure your line but with the attenuation you have 2mb may be all you will get anyway. Ring after 10:30pm any you have a good chance of speaking directly to them, ask them to manually configure the line and put you on the G.dmt line profile which is better for long lines such as yours.

Plug router into Test socket downstairs and get statistics on this computer,
      make sure you are using the hard wired ethernet cable and the router is plugged into the test socket and no other connections laptops or computers then post results.
      only need to do what is on this post.

Exchange:
      Thanks

REBOOTED ROUTER

COMPUTER (ETHERNET)
      ROUTER UPSTAIRS

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 224 kbps 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 19.9 db 6.0 db

Speed test
      Download - 0.12mb/s
      Upload - 0.21mb/s

LAPTOP (ETHERNET)
      ROUTER UPSTAIRS

Noise Margin 20.4 db 6.0 db

Speed test
      Download - 0.12mb/s
      Upload - 0.23mb/s

REBOOTED ROUTER - RESTARTED PC - RESTARTED LAPTOP

COMPUTER (WIRELESS - 2/5-3/5 signal)
      ROUTER DOWNSTAIRS (UNSCREWED MAIN SOCKET)

Connection Speed 1408 kbps 288 kbps
      Noise Margin 11.9 db 7.0 db

Speed test
      Download - 0.13mb/s
      Upload - 0.24mb/s

LAPTOP WILL NOT CONNECT TO ROUTER WIRELESSLY FROM UPSTAIRS

LAPTOP WILL NOT CONNECT TO ROUTER WIRELESSLY FROM DOWNSTAIRS (right next to the router)

LAPTOP (ETHERNET)
      ROUTER DOWNSTAIRS (UNSCREWED MAIN SOCKET)

Noise Margin 12.8 db 7.0 db

Speed test
      Download - 0.13mb/s
      Upload - 0.24mb/s

Exchange:
      Thanks

As you can see, downstairs (unscrewed main socket) is giving much better statistics but only the same Internet speed, even with the Ethernet cable...

I plugged the router back in upstairs as then I don't have to worry about the fluctation in the wireless connection and can use the Ethernet cable...

Just refreshed the router statistics and got over 700 kb/s download speed with the router upstairs (not main socket) and using Ethernet cable... That's the best I've reached with that socket...

Going to reboot router one last time

EDIT: No change after reboot

Download speed still at 0.13mb/s and upload at 0.23mb/s according to a speed test

Exchange:
      Thanks

Going to message sky online before i ring them...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks

ak9779
      Hi if you want to use speed testers here are some Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester also
      Broadband Speed Checker - THE UK's No.1 Broadband Speed Test and thinkbroadband :: Broadband Speed Test rebooting all the time and running tests are not going to help maybe someone can give you some advice but you have to do what they ask the main socket ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Noise Margin 12.8 db 7.0 db
      you could get around 2000kbps part of your problems are upstairs

Noise Margin 19.9 db 6.0 db

Noise Margin 20.4 db 6.0 db

bacardi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ak9779 View Post
      Going to message sky online before i ring them...

Why come on here asking for help and then ignore the advice? Ring them late after 10.30pm and follow the advice above. Do not bother with the online message. Finally if you are in DLM keep rebooting is going to make matters worse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast