Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just changed to Sky - is this normal?

This is a discussion on Just changed to Sky - is this normal? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently changed my ISP from Virgin to Sky after being with them for nearly nine years. Since being with ...

Russta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNDAG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just changed to Sky - is this normal?

I recently changed my ISP from Virgin to Sky after being with them for nearly nine years. Since being with them, my speed has been abysmal.

As my cable went out today, it's been exactly 28 days since I called to cancel Virgin and set up Sky. My connection date was supposed to be the 29/1/10 but they missed it. Upon calling them on the 1/2/10, they fed my some line that they had an issue with the exchange and it should be up and running within the next couple of days. I was fine with waiting as I still had my old internet.

Low and behold, the internet begins working on 4/2/10. I notice immediately from loading my rss laden custom Google homepage that the speed was lower than I was getting before. Considering I moved from a 10mb line to a 20mb, I was surprised. I ran some speed tests and the speed was ridiculously low.

I called them again on the Saturday (6/2/10) and was told something about it being normal for my internet speed to be god awful for the first 10-15 days while they tested the line for optimal speeds. Now, to me, that sounded absurd. Is this seriously normal procedure that a customer pays for a month of internet that's practically unusable? I was also amused how the lady spun it around in a way that I should be grateful for this so that when it is working the speed will be perfect! Either way, I still had my old internet, so I could deal with it.

From the day of that call until today (7 days) I've been running a speed test wirelessly on my Wii every day because I couldn't be bothered to keep reorganizing the RJ45's running around my house. Each day, it was basically the same thing:

Down: 660kb/s
      Up: 210kb/s

Also, I noticed that if I plug the in-line filter into the double socket with the built in telephone line that connects to my Sky+ box then plug that in, the down speed on the Wii dropped to 116kb/s. Amusing that to use their internet I can no longer buy anything from Sky Box Office, eh?

As I now don't have my Virgin internet anymore, I've hooked all the wires up and will have to deal with whatever I can get for now. However, I ran a bunch of tests and was a little surprised by the results.

Give or take, my PC and PS3, both connected with wires, report:

Down: 400kb/s
      Up: 412kb/s

This is a far cry from the 2000kb/s down, 1200kb/s up I was lead to believe I'm paying for. Also, the wireless signal barely reaches upstairs. I have a windows mobile smartphone and the times it is able to pick up the signal it's at two bars of strength. By contrast, I can usually pick up both my neighbor's just fine.

That's my router statistics as of writing this. The router is right near the master socket and plugged into it via the wire that came with the router into the in-line filter (and I tried all three supplied to see if it made a difference). The RJ45 that connects my PC to the router is 15 meters (I think) and the one that connects my PS3 to it is about 7 meters. The Wii I used to test the wireless is no more than six feet away with a clear line of sight.

tl;dr - Just switched to Sky unlimited and after 9 days the speed is dreadful. Do I call them again or wait a bit longer?

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Just changed to Sky - is this normal?

Testing the line for the optimum performance is absolutely standard on Sky.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

You will never get much more than 2-4 Mbps with your line attenuation (60.5 db). You should probably have stuck to Virgin if you want decent speed, as you are too far from the exchange to get it with ADSL.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Considering I moved from a 10mb line to a 20mb, I was surprised. I ran some speed tests and the speed was ridiculously low.
      You have moved to an Up to 20Mb service. The speed you get depends on the length and condition of your line. You have a very long line and will be lucky to get 2-4Mbs.

Also, I noticed that if I plug the in-line filter into the double socket with the built in telephone line that connects to my Sky+ box
      You must plug the ADSL filter in first, then plug any extension or device into it. Everything connected to the phone line must run through a filter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      You will never get much more than 2-4 Mbps with your line attenuation (60.5 db). You should probably have stuck to Virgin if you want decent speed, as you are too far from the exchange to get it with ADSL.
      When I decided to switch to DSL, I researched where my local telephone exchange was. I was surprised to discover it's a building I'd seen many times and never given much thought to. It's a five minute walk away (RM108DR) from where I live (RM95RH). I'd drop in a picture of how close it is with Google Maps but I can't quite pinpoint the building with it.

So, how can this be? Is it possible that I'm connected to some exchange further away?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You have moved to an Up to 20Mb service. The speed you get depends on the length and condition of your line. You have a very long line and will be lucky to get 2-4Mbs.
      I realize I've moved to an "Up to 20mb" speed service but given the information I had at the time, I couldn't imagine for a second that the signal attrition would be over 10mb. I'm not bothered about some drop in service compared to what I'm used to. Even if it's 50% and I'm only getting the 10mb I had before, it'd have been well worth switching.

Taking into account what I said above, when our phone stopped working a few months ago, the BT technician that fix it said we had a really good quality line. On top of that, when we decided to move over to Sky's internet, the guy we spoke to said that we would be able to receive their 20mb service.

You must plug the ADSL filter in first, then plug any extension or device into it. Everything connected to the phone line must run through a filter.
      Thanks.

Thanks

I suggest you eliminate your internal wiring by plugging into the Master Test socket, unscrew the cover on the master socket to get at it. Plug your router in via a filter and re do your stats.
      Ive got the feeling that you may have seriesed your ADSL filters and are blocking the broadband somehow.

As you say you are not far from the Dagenham exchange
      Last edited by penrhyn; 13-02-10 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks

I suggest you eliminate your internal wiring by plugging into the Master Test socket, unscrew the cover on the master socket to get at it. Plug your router in via a filter and re do your stats.
      Ive got the feeling that you may have seriesed your ADSL filters and are blocking the broadband somehow.

As you say you are not far from the Dagenham exchange
      I went to go try this but it appeared my master socket wasn't an NTE5. I unscrewed it anyway and, as I thought, there was no test socket there. There are a total of three sockets down there; the one I would deem the master, one to the left that has had the wire cut from the top (also doesn't appear to be an NTE5) and a Bell Cable Media one to the right of them on a different wall. The Bell Cable Media one runs into to the one that has the wire cut and does actually appear to be an NTE5. I plugged my phone in to see if it had a dialing tone but alas nothing.

I remembered when the aforementioned BT technician came before that he tested our line using some white box above our street door. I figured it was a long shot but that the test socket might somehow be there but, again, nothing. And boy, would it have been a laugh trying to get set up to test there!

I'm not too sure what to do at this point. If what you guys said is correct about my line attenuation then even if Sky are still "testing for optimal conditions" it's not going to go above what it is now, right?

I don't think for a second that anything you guys have said is wrong but there's just something not right about my whole situation.

Thanks

Bt seem to have done your job on the cheap, they should have installed a new NTE5 master socket, and not used the old cable companies detritus.

Thanks

Bt seem to have done your job on the cheap, they should have installed a new NTE5 master socket, and not used the old cable companies detritus.
      We had BT for the longest time in our house which is at least 25 years. Probably about 15 years ago, we had our phone switched over to Bell Cable Media but it didn't last long. I don't recall why but it's probably not important. I guess when we had them they installed their own stuff which apparently was an NTE5 socket. When we went back to BT I guess they just used the old gear that was there.

Irrespective of that, is there anything I can do? I'm not sure how Sky's phone service works; is this technically a BT line? I'm not sure who which company I'd call and ask to check this out.

Thanks

If you pay line rental to BT call them, if you pay it to Sky then call Sky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast