Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just changed to Sky - is this normal?

This is a discussion on Just changed to Sky - is this normal? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As a follow up to this, I spent a lot of time on the phone to Sky today. They said ...

Russta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNDAG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Just changed to Sky - is this normal?

As a follow up to this, I spent a lot of time on the phone to Sky today.

They said that my speed was too slow and bumped it up to around 2600kbps. I've no idea what was wrong in the first place but I'm still unhappy at only receiving around 15% of what I'm paying for. I was also told that they did a test on the lines in the general area and that with our line attenuation there was no chance that I'd ever receive above 4mb, a number that's still unacceptable to me.

The first rep I spoke to informed me that I have 14 days from the day of connection to cancel my contract. We called them back and told them we'd like to do this and boy did they drag their heels. First they tried to tell me that I was outside the 14 days (we weren't; Sky connected us late so we're only 12 days in) then they told us that you can't cancel a service over the phone, only by writing or emailing them. That sounds patently ridiculous but I've done just that. I emailed all my details to mysky@bskyb.com and told them why I want to cancel and made it very clear on the phone we're canceling. Does anyone know of anything else I could do?

What I want to know here is how is this going to work? As I mentioned, we're only 12 days in and I sent a concise email earlier. If they take a week or so to deal with the request... yeah. I don't want to delve too far into legalities but if they say it's too late because they took so long, where do I stand? I absolutely don't mind if they want to bill me for some cancellation charges and extra service but I absolutely am not getting locked into a 12 month contract because of their asinine way of canceling a service.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russta View Post
      They said that my speed was too slow and bumped it up to around 2600kbps. I've no idea what was wrong in the first place but I'm still unhappy at only receiving around 15% of what I'm paying for. I was also told that they did a test on the lines in the general area and that with our line attenuation there was no chance that I'd ever receive above 4mb, a number that's still unacceptable to me.
      All you can do is call sky and ask them what your estimated speed is on their end and what your line length is. IF it is much higher than what your line is receiving at the moment, then sky may send a health check engineer out as it may be your socket is shot. However, if sky's readings do suggest the line is only capable of 2048 kbps or so, then they will not do anything.

It's fair enough to be unhappy at paying for the service and only getting a low speed, but sky are supplying the service as they should - so it's not their fault. If you want higher speeds, then migrate back to virgin or move to another premises. I'm paying for unlimited and I only manage 1472 kbps on a 12km long line, it's the nature of dsl.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      It's fair enough to be unhappy at paying for the service and only getting a low speed, but sky are supplying the service as they should - so it's not their fault.
      Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Sky is a fantastic company when it comes to being at the forefront of technology. Their TV is second to none and whenever a new service is lingering they're right there trying to get it to consumers. I know that the actual ADSL service is what it is and I'm convinced they did what they could to assure me the speed was as high as it was ever going to get.

The problem I have is in trying to cancel. I understand no company wants to lose a customer but being told the only way I can opt out of my contract before the 14 days is up is to write or email them and wait for a reply is ****-poor. I wouldn't expect this of a company that makes it ridiculously easy to add packages by simply going to their website and adding them, circumventing the need for any actual contact with Sky.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Russta
      Hi look at sheels post 7 on Can I cancel my BB and Sky Talk if you get any more
      problems this is a way out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Russta
      Hi look at sheels post 7 on Can I cancel my BB and Sky Talk if you get any more
      problems this is a way out.
      Wow, thanks. I hope it won't come to this but this is some really great info and can get me out of a potentially messy situation.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russta View Post
      As a follow up to this, I spent a lot of time on the phone to Sky today.

The first rep I spoke to informed me that I have 14 days from the day of connection to cancel my contract. We called them back and told them we'd like to do this and boy did they drag their heels. First they tried to tell me that I was outside the 14 days (we weren't; Sky connected us late so we're only 12 days in) then they told us that you can't cancel a service over the phone, only by writing or emailing them. That sounds patently ridiculous but I've done just that. I emailed all my details to mysky@bskyb.com and told them why I want to cancel and made it very clear on the phone we're canceling. Does anyone know of anything else I could do?

What I want to know here is how is this going to work? As I mentioned, we're only 12 days in and I sent a concise email earlier. If they take a week or so to deal with the request... yeah. I don't want to delve too far into legalities but if they say it's too late because they took so long, where do I stand? I absolutely don't mind if they want to bill me for some cancellation charges and extra service but I absolutely am not getting locked into a 12 month contract because of their asinine way of canceling a service.
      You're expecting WAY too much of DSL - you're line simply can't hold much more than it is at present. Yes, the wiring is **** poor and Sky should really get an SFI out to fit an NTE5 but you're never going to get anywhere near 20Mbps so you're either going to have to accept this or move back to cable...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      You're expecting WAY too much of DSL - you're line simply can't hold much more than it is at present. Yes, the wiring is **** poor and Sky should really get an SFI out to fit an NTE5 but you're never going to get anywhere near 20Mbps so you're either going to have to accept this or move back to cable...
      That decision is already made. I've informed Sky of my intention to cancel and they appear to have accepted this and Virgin are installing 50mb cable and the phone line on March 3rd. On March 1, we will give Sky our 28 day notice to cancel our TV subscription and then transfer that over to Virgin as well.

I don't wish to speak ill of Sky of course but once everything is over to Virgin we will be paying 1.50 per month less than what we pay now. The only tangible difference will be having ESPN for free and a 50mb cable line over a 2.5mb DSL one. We have already paid a 20 internet connection charge though and will also have to pay a 75 one off charge (I think) for Virgin's HD+ box. Taking everything into account, that seems a small price to pay in the long run.

You are right that I was expecting too much of DSL. I should've done my research properly beforehand instead of assuming how close we are to our exchange and the Sky rep telling us we could get their 20mb service would translate to at least an equal service.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

That's the annoying thing - without researching properly you can only go on advice given at the time. Although the exchange could be round the corner it's likely the line goes around the town before returning to base. Unless there is a HUGE change in a test socket (I have seen attenuation go from 63dB to 9dB in the test socket) there's nothing that can be done
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12