Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Insanely slow speeds

This is a discussion on Insanely slow speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, new member and new Sky subscriber. TV was installed Jan 7 Phone installed Jan 21 Internet was activated ...

Hiekel Essterol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey LVWAL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Insanely slow speeds **UPDATED**

Hi all, new member and new Sky subscriber.

TV was installed Jan 7
      Phone installed Jan 21
      Internet was activated Feb 10

Im using the Sky supplied Sagem wireless router/modem. Its been plugged in and left plugged in since activation. Sky have said that the speed will vary in the first few/10 days while they find the best speed but they have advised the best speed I am likely to get is about 4MB.

From my days with Virgin Media when we had a 20MB connection I was getting download speeds of around 1600Mbps, and when we were on 10MB I was getting about 1000Mbps.

With a 4MB connection I was expecting about 400Mbps. Im currently getting 0.15Mbps, less than 0.1% of what I was expecting.

Im connected to the router wirelessly at a distance of about 8ft with direct line of sight. I must add that the router is connected to a wall plate that isnt the master socket. I dont want to move it yet and interrupt the 10 day thing.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 175 kbps 714 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.5 db 33.4 db
      Noise Margin 9.8 db 10.5 db

The test speeds above havent changed since installation. The upload is faster than the download!!

I am paying for the unlimited service, but with those sort of speeds Im never going to be able to download anything.

Can I expect the speed to increase? Does a new install usually start out really slow and then build up over the 10 days? Or do I have a bit of a problem here?

Thanks
      Last edited by Hiekel Essterol; 14-02-10 at 01:45 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Insanely slow speeds

You have a problem there with something.

Plug the router into the TEST socket and get the stats again, also ensure you have an ADSL filter plugged into EVERY working phone point and it is the VERY FIRST thing plugged into the socket.

Then post the stats again (from the test socket)

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

One thing, where is the router plugged into? Is it a 2 way splitter with a lead that goes to your sky tv box? You need to make sure your filter is plugged directly into your telephone socket, nothing can go onto the telephone line without a filter when ADSL is in use.
      Odds are Sky tv installed first, telephone splitter installed to connect Sky tv box to telephone line, router then arrives later and you plugged the filter into the telephone splitter.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

When Sky TV was installed the Sky+ phone connection was connected straight to the wall plate and they left me with the splitter if I needed it later, but I didnt use it.

The situation currently is as follows:

Master Socket - Cordless phone base plugged in through an ADSL filter as supplied by Sky
      Living Room Socket - Sky+ and Sagem Router plugged in through ADSL filter as supplied by Sky

I understand that the living room socket is basically an extension from the Master Socket and that this could be the source of the problem. The trouble is that the Master Socket is actually in a cloakroom and its actually attached to the ceiling in there. The cordless phone base thats currently plugged into it doesnt have a handset with it, its just there to transmit the phone wireless signal around the apartment.

I wasnt able to plug the Sky router into the Master Socket for installation as I needed to connect the pc to it for the installation and to set up the wireless connection. The router has now been connected for 3 days continuous. From reading the documentation that came with the router they say not to switch it off for the first 10 days. That means that it needs to stay in the living room till next Saturday. After that I do actually plan to move it to the cloakroom where it can be plugged into the Master Socket and just sit on a shelf.

Do you think it would be ok to move the router before the 10 days is up or am I best waiting for the 10 days to expire and then move it?

Incidentally I have just checked the router stats again today and its changed a little bit. The ones from yesterday were:
      Connection Speed 175 kbps 714 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.5 db 33.4 db
      Noise Margin 9.8 db 10.5 db

Todays stats are:
      Connection Speed 377 kbps 625 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.0 db 33.3 db
      Noise Margin 8.2 db 10.5 db

Downstream has doubled, upstream has dropped a fraction. Line attenuation has dropped a little and noise margin has increased slightly.
      Last edited by Hiekel Essterol; 13-02-10 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Adding new stats

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is your master socket an NTE5 type? You will really need to get your router plugged into it to see what your maximum possible speed is. As things stand you may get another 1-200kbs, that is about all. You may get 3-5Mbs if your external line is in good condition and your internal wiring is sorted.

noise margin has increased slightly..
      It has actually decreased, which has given you the extra speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Is your master socket an NTE5 type? You will really need to get your router plugged into it to see what your maximum possible speed is. As things stand you may get another 1-200kbs, that is about all. You may get 3-5Mbs if your external line is in good condition and your internal wiring is sorted.

It has actually decreased, which has given you the extra speed.
      My mistake, you are right, it has decreased slightly, not increased. Im off to see what you mean by NTE5 socket.........

Thanks

If by NTE5 Master Socket you mean this...
      then yes, this is the socket that is in the cloakroom right now. Its has the cordless phone base charger plugged into it through a Sky supplied ADSL filter.

I am still interested in getting peoples opinion of whether I can unplug and move the Sagem router before the 1st 10 days is up?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am still interested in getting peoples opinion of whether I can unplug and move the Sagem router before the 1st 10 days is up?
      Your speed is so bad it will not make any difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Agreed. With the current state of your connection I wouldn't worry about the DLM process, you need to get the connection sorted and then contact Sky to either run the DLM again or manually configure it if needed.

Thanks

Ive moved the router and plugged it into the Master Socket. Below are the before and after stats

Todays 'before move' stats are:
      Connection Speed 377 kbps 625 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.0 db 33.3 db
      Noise Margin 8.2 db 10.5 db

Todays new stats at the Master Socket
      Connection Speed 378 kbps 750 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 db 32.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.8 db 9.5 db

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast