Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is SKY Value for Money?

This is a discussion on Is SKY Value for Money? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a couple of topics for discussion/ advice so please bide with me and give me your thoughts. If ...

KanesFist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is SKY Value for Money?

I have a couple of topics for discussion/ advice so please bide with me and give me your thoughts. If a moderator wishes me to seperate these out then let me know but as this post will help me to decide what to do with SKY overall then its best I have everything in one place.

I have pretty much everything SKY offers
      SKY HD+
      World Package
      SKY BB Everyday
      SkyTalk
      Sky Line Rental

All together I am pumping out around £85/ month.

1)

OK like others I have started getting e-mails from SKY saying that I have exceeded my 10gig allowance (sky everyday). TBH I cannot be 100% if this is accurate as all I use my line for is a little bit of surfing and PS3 online gaming at night (2hrs). Now I know most of the games use p2p which will contribute to my usage but I am frankly bowled over that this would push me above 10gig each month?

I do not do downloads of music/ videos etc. so either their stats are wrong or 10gig is frankly WAY below that required for standard use. If it is the latter then surely SKY are marketing this whole package wrongly? When I upgraded they told me "Everyday" was ideal for a gamer ? ...... appears this was a strategic decision made by SKY to get you in the door ..... then lock it and toss the key away.

2) If SKY can justify a significant boost to my gaming experience then I would consider going MAX. Can you please review my stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10234 kbps 604 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29 db 16 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 13 db

I have tested in the past from the test socket with no appreciable difference tbh.

3) The reason I have started questioning things is firstly the e-mails in 1) which got me thinking about just how much £'s I am putting into Murdochs grubby wee hands.

I also had some TalkTalk reps appear at my door promising the world and predictably saying that their BB and Phone package is far better performance and value for money than SKY. Yeah I know its the usual pitch but lets face it .... most of us could save £hundreds if we reviewed our current contracts etc.

So how do I derive some value from £85/ month ?

Drop SKY BB and SKY Talk for this:

TalkTalk Product Selection

TalkTalk have LLU on my exchange and I am assuming I could get max delays decreased as I did with SKY so I could save £3/ month but increase usage by 400%. As said earlier though gaming performance is critical.

4)

I was even thinking of getting multiroom but does this mean i would be paying £10/ month on top of the HD one I already pay AND would I have to pay for the additional box AND installation ?

Is there a reliable method of getting the pictures from the sky box downstairs to the kids room upstairs ? there are infrared transmitters or something isnt there ?

5)

I have been considering dropping some of the TV packages. I do enjoy HD but this kind of pushes you into taking a bigger package because the free stuff is so limited in choice. Have any of you taken a leap of faith and decided HD is nice but not nice enough. Or dropped some packages and not reallt felt it impacted you.

So just give me your thoughts. I know I cant have everything in life but I just feel SKY are starting and will continue to squeeze us for everydrop of cash. You may be in the same dilemma and dropped and changed things and were happy or not and reverted back.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      pugwash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sedgley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Is SKY Value for Money?

personally i dont see how you could be going over the 10GB limit i was on the everyday and played my ps3 for hours each day with not going over and if you arnt downloading like you say there shouldnt be any reason why, i would of gave sky a ring up about it.

About dropping a package i would drop the sky HD o have sky plus on my HD tv and the picture is perfect ending the sky talk and line rental would mean a cancellation fee i think due to the contract not ending.

multi room i think you have to pay for the instillation and the £10 extra a month but i think the box is free you might be able to strike a deal. and about the picture from down to the kids room i dont know how my friend does it but hes wired it from the box up into the tv and he can see what ever is on downstairs.

also if you upgrade to unlimited i think the first 3 or 6 month is free to new customers and excisting if you upgrade. which annoyed me slightly since i updraded before the offer was out lol

Gymnast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought I'd post not really to advise but more to support. I to have "the lot" but seem to be going through a process of ammending what I have due to the financial load that my Sky bill can incure each month.

I used to have sports + 4 but found that missing the footie while at work got annoying and as I can't watch a recorded match knowing the result I decided to ditch sports which was a fairly big save in itself. Next I ditched two extra packages leaving just the main entertainment and kids ones. I can't really lose anymore but am now questioning my multi-room and HD subscriptions. I do appreciate the picture quality on programs like 24 but when I look at what I actually watch in HD I find myself questioning the extra tenner. I mean my Pioneer PDP does a very good job with the standard picture so I feel I could probably live without it.

The line rental I still think is very good value compared to other options so I iwon't be moving that. The £5 for the call package I haven't yet worked out whether is good value for myself so I'm keeping that for a little longer.

I have recently moved from Everyday BB to Unlimited, not because of speed as its its only increased my UL, my DL was at 5Mb and I knew it wouldn't increase after DLM had done its magic. My reason for upgrading was the DL limit, I do feel like most that sky have pulled a bit con with the drop in limit from 40 to 10Gb and saying it wouldn't affect many. I'm not much of a downloader but in the first 3 months it was funny how I managed to get very close to their limit, i think they frig the stats somehow to force people to upgrade. I decided while they have the free offer for 6 months i would do it of my own accord, then at least over the next year my average price would remain the same as before. I suppose when I think i used to pay about £18 for 1Mb before the "free broadband" revolution kicked off, then its still good value.

I suppose in the end you have to just keep reviewing the cost and situation although it does seem provides seem to be adding clauses and costs to hit you in the wallet hard when you want to move!!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Some interesting points ..... appreciate the input.

Just got my e-mail advising me that I have exceeded my usage and therefore being upgraded.

I actually did do a bit of DL this month with some songs for Singstar on my PS3 ..... booze and karaoke ..... damnit

Anyway I have seen absolutely no difference in my connection speeds or ping.

I really feel this is just a poor ploy being carried out by SKY which could cost them alot of customers in the long run. I fully understand that I should have some form of a cap but the way they market their products is clearly very mis-leading.

I am pretty much sure that I will be downgrading all my TV stuff and will be switching over to either BE-Unlimited or Talk Talk. Save some cash and maybe squeeze some more performance out my line.

pugwash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sedgley
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KanesFist View Post
      I actually did do a bit of DL this month with some songs for Singstar on my PS3 ..... booze and karaoke ..... damnit

I am pretty much sure that I will be downgrading all my TV stuff and will be switching over to either BE-Unlimited or Talk Talk. Save some cash and maybe squeeze some more performance out my line.
      how long since you have upgraded?
      you might still be on DLM if so dont reset your router it interferes with the DLM and may cause an unstable connection
      yes i agree they are very misleading they tell you anything just to get you singed up i was told when i first signed up by the bloke who sold it me that id easily get 15Mb biggest lie ive heard im only get 4 Mb should be 8 but the lines round my area are bad condition and are reallly old

rustydiver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01278
      Thanks

Its interesting you say that you have gone over your usage allowance. For the last 6 yrs we have never gone over our 2GB allowance Orange then Sky. We upgraded in Dec cos they recon we were getting close to it, went up to the 10GB allowance and this month went unlimited they had an offer you got it free for 6 months so worked out the same price as everyday.
      Had an email from sky to say we have gone over our 10GB allowance this month (in the first 15 days) the only thing we are doing now is streaming music via Napstar. Think they have got a problem cos it should be unlimited.

Father in law is new to broadband surfs a litte the children play a few online games when we go there so not much and he said yesterday thay his 2GB is nearly reached.

Since upgrading to unlimited i have hit speeds of up to 18mbps but now down to 7 mbps line still undergoing testing. Fast line speed is ok if you got a decent pc to cope mine is a bit old and slow like me so dont notice much differance.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I got the e-mail on Friday night so I suppose it may be they dont do weekends ? .... but yeah just ran a test and noticed my UL has increased slightly.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@ rusty ...... yeah I agree .... their sums in my opinion are WAY off. I might grab one of those programs that allow you to monitor it yourself but I am pretty sure they would just come up with some technical fudge to explain away any large differences.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I still use Sky for my TV requirements, but I migrated to Be LLU a month ago for broadband, because I believe they give a better value service than Sky.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

please elaborate nick .... did your speeds/ ping improve ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast