Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is SKY Value for Money?

This is a discussion on Is SKY Value for Money? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Wow its got really busy in the forum lol .... clearly many people have been hearded into the "Upgrade your ...

KanesFist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Is SKY Value for Money?

Wow its got really busy in the forum lol .... clearly many people have been hearded into the "Upgrade your package" ploy.

I can only hope people vote with their feet on this one.

To the techs in here. I know that you lads can give reasonably good guesstimates of what we should be getting regards speeds but there are a couple of things I sont quite understand. I spoke with Talk Talk and they said tha max my line can take is 6-7mbs but as you can see above I reguarly have 8-9mbs and the line is stable. After many calls to SKY way back in the day I wouldnt take no for an answer and made sure they opened up my line to the promised Mid package of 10mbs. Note they also said the max i could expect was 6-7. So my question is .... why was SKY and Talk Talk wong. Where and how do they get their figures?

Another question is about Ping. I have had my max dely reduced, thanks to the people of this site, which did drop my ping albeit not dramatically. What governs my Ping ? I had thought it was to do with the number of hops and how quickly they process my info before reaching its destination. So I was wondering when i change my ISP could my ping significantly improve? for example say I ping BBC - Homepage and had 4 easynet hops with SKY .... Talk Talk might only have 2 hops ..... which could potentially half my ping ? is there anyway to check this ? do any of you know a good ISP in Aberdeen that caters to an online gamer ?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The speed is just an estimate from the BT data that the ISP hold, some of it is way out, I have seen people getting 20mb when they have been advised 2-3mb is their maximum, as always, router stats will give a much better idea.

As for ping, the main thing is the distance to the server, there are better ISPs than Sky for pings as they do not use Fastpath which means that even with your max delays reduced there is still some delay before the information is sent onwards to it's destination.

Errors on a line can also cause some huge delays as the data is sent and resent for verification which can seriously raise your ping times, that is why it is better to have a stable connection and a fast and not so stable one.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It appears that only AOL, SKY and Talk Talk have LLU on my Aberdeen Exchange

I have been told that Talk Talk give you a month cool off so if their service is not up to standard you can cancel the contract. My question is if things go Pete Tong with TT how can I get back onto SKY within that period and would it cost me to get connected back to SKY?

Thanks

The problem you will have with TalkTalk is I am sure they tie you into their phone system, this usually means that you will be on their equipment in the exchange and you will have to pay to get another BT line up and running if you do decide to leave.

There is a cost for this and also you are liable to have 10-20 days downtime.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

TalkTalk own AOL, so their conditions will be similar. I expect they will eventually go the way of Tiscali and be completely absorbed. To get a similar speed to Unlimited you would have to take TalkTalk Pro, which is a similar price, requires you to take phone rental and is subject to an 18 month contract. I don't see anything about a cooling off period on their main page.

Your main problem seems to be the condition of your external line. This is what is dragging your speed down, TalkTalk may be able to improve it, but I doubt it.

I would recommend TT to anyone who could not get Sky. My neighbour uses them and has had no problems. He gets 5.5Mb compared to my 9Mb from the same pole.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

I would choose Sky LLU at 15 over any of the others you can get.

You would be better ensuring you are getting the best signal you can your end before you make any rash decisions.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KanesFist View Post
      It appears that only AOL, SKY and Talk Talk have LLU on my Aberdeen Exchange
      If that was my only choice, then I would definitely have stayed with Sky.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

mmmm so how much would it cost then if I went to TT and then decided to come back. I should add that i am with SKY for my phone line and would need to take the TT.

I understand your opinions on TT as a service provider ... thats pretty much why I have avoided them until now but from what I have gathered on the net that wherever they are LLU they have shown significant improvements. If I could get onto their package short term, that is dipping the toe, before comitting then that would give me a safety net.

I am not overly concerned about DL speeds but as an online gamer UL speed and Latency are paramount and TBH SKY do a very poor job of both.

In fact I think they have finished the DLM and set my Upload speed around 0.2 meg lower than when they started DLM. They also never touched my DL speed at all .... its currently synched:

DownStream Connection Speed 10235 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 412 kbps

So essentially this rip off with SKY mis-selling me packages and then expecting me to accept additional costs for the pleasure of upgrades I shouldnt have needed while leaving me with a worse line performance is frankly laughable .... if it wasnt me it was happening to.

Thanks

Firstly, if you post your stats from the current location and also the TEST socket we may be able to help. If this is causing some issues, it will do the same with TalkTalk as it is the same phisical line they will use for their service.

I game on Sky and have never had a problem so I cannot see why you would. Get your max delays reduces and with an upload speed of upto1.3mb you should be fine, even for some bandwidth hogging games, just ensure you are not using wireless for them.

BT will charge 100+ to have a line fitted with them if you decide you don't like TalkTalk although you may be able to get a deal but you won't know for sure until you try.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have Sky rental and have been moved to the SVBN, TalkTalk may not be able to take your line over. Taking over an LLU line is not as simple as taking over a BT one, you would have to ask TT if they can do it before you commit yourself. You may find yourself without phone or broadband for a period.

If your upload has finished worse than it was, call Sky and ask them to manually configure it. Most get an upload of at least 800 on Unlimited, you will possibly get more than double your present..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast