Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Sky Unlimited Speed Problems

This is a discussion on Sky Unlimited Speed Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have had Sky Unlimited for about 6 months now and in this time I have had many different ...

chris_5252 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+

Sky Unlimited Speed Problems

I have had Sky Unlimited for about 6 months now and in this time I have had many different connection speeds ranging from 18mb to 9mb. I have no idea what happens but sometimes the router will disconnect and then reconnect at a slower speed.

The thing is though is that this does not happen often. Could be at 18mb for 3-4 weeks with a perfectly stable and fast connection, and then I would check the router status page and it would be at something like 9mb. Then I could check 2 weeks later and it would be at 17mb.

When the internet is on, there are no drop outs and I receive a very stable connection. It just almost feels like Sky are turning it up and down. They also say when I call that I have a good line and that I should be receiving the top end speeds, yet every time they cannot give me an answer.

Here are my router stats, it is exactly the same on my test socket:

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Sky Unlimited Speed Problems

It looks like you have some sort of spiking noise on your line which is causing it to drop out and connect at a lower speed. If you are getting higher speeds you are not capped so booting your router when you have a high noise margin, like you have now, should reconnect you at a higher speed. Unless there is a fault on your voice line you are unlikely to get anything done about. It could be anything that is causing the noise from CH turning on to a faulty street light close to your line.

You could try downloading RouterstatsLite from Internet Software this may enable you to pinpoint when it is happening and enable you to trace the sourse.

Reboot now and your speed will shoot back up.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV

Re: Sky Unlimited Speed Problems

ye, i have problems too, my speed drops from 7616kbps, to around 6900kbps after 4pm, not only that but my SNR will drop to around 1 - 2 db average, sometimes hitting 0db and minus, i have a serious fault on my line, its probably the street lights causing it a bit of interference, but im guessing theres a also a fault with the voice line.......

P.S when i had a belkin router running on my line instead of skys router, it never dropped below 5db, so it might even be a faulty router also.......