Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Random Disconnects and Varying Speed

This is a discussion on Random Disconnects and Varying Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; yh sky also capped me, they said all i could get was 5 meg and 608kbps upload , my attenuation ...

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

Re: Random Disconnects and Varying Speed

yh sky also capped me, they said all i could get was 5 meg and 608kbps upload , my attenuation very close to yours, i phoned them back about a week later and asked them to put my speed faster again. more errors now but more speed.
      Now This is my speed.........

Download Sync: 7616kbps Upload Sync: 912kbps

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The problem with creating more errors is that this can actually impact your real downlosd speed. This is due to date being sent more than once so you could in effect be re-transmitting a third of your data which is actually reducing your download speed by a third even though your sync speed is higher.

lancer778544 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llandaff
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Right, the modem is now plugged into a ADSL Nation filtered faceplate with a length of CAT5e network cable running to my PC. The connection wasn't that much better so I phoned Sky and the very helpful advisor couldn't find any problems. After explaining about the problems starting with BT replacing the cable between the pole and the master box, he came to the conclusion that there could be a fault with the cable or installation and to give BT a ring. I had to hold off giving BT a ring for a few days due to college and during this time there were a few drop outs, but otherwise ok. I tried the connection this morning and it was awful. Connection drop outs every couple of mins (see graph) with the noise margin dropping into negative values ( just before the graph started unfortunately) I decided to give BT a ring but during the wait, the noise was quite bad and since it's a DECT cordless phone I decided to switch the wireless off on the router.

The connection was then somehow stable for about 40 mins and I thought that there could be a problem with the router but then the connection died again (graph 2), but luckily I picked the phone up at the right time and it was just pure noise for a couple of seconds before I could hear the dial tone (this is with the wireless still off). I gave BT a ring and they performed a line check and surprise surprise there wasn't a fault. They then went through the usual checks of extensions (there aren't any anymore) and such and then tried to make a appointment for an engineer to come out. I decided against it as if the engineer can't find a fault, i'd be hit with a 129 fine on my next bill. I really do hate intermittent line faults...

So what do you guys think? Risk the fine? Im not sure if the BT engineer would be convinced by the RouterStats graphs.. Here are the current stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8008 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 24.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 10.0 db

Last edited by lancer778544; 21-02-10 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Problem with PhotoBucket hosting different pictures

lancer778544 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llandaff
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Double post deleted.
      Last edited by lancer778544; 21-02-10 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Double Post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12