Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Internet speeds slowdown

This is a discussion on Internet speeds slowdown within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Back in this thread - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post255779 it was shown that you have noise problems on your line, did you find ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Internet speeds slowdown

Back in this thread - Sky Broadband Speeds... it was shown that you have noise problems on your line, did you find out what was causing the problem?

Your line may have been fine 2 years ago, but phone lines can and do develop faults. You should be able to get 7-8 Mb, but some fault on your line is increasing the noise, which in turn reduces your noise margin. Until this is fixed you are not going to get any more.

Any noise on your voice line?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      d3moliti0n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No, there is no issue with noise on the voice line, at least I have never experienced any when using the phone.

I don't know what the issue was in that post, as I have never experienced that noise issue before or after that one time. I just assumed it was a random glitch which it seemed to be, as I said, because I haven't experienced those type of noise issues when checking the stats either before or after that one time.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

d3moliti0n
      Hi just in case here are a few tips to help.
      Before you contact Sky you need to try and work out if the line, or your internal wiring is at fault.

(1) connect a normal wired phone to the test socket and ensure you have a dial tone. Using the same phone, and with the test socket still exposed, check that all extension sockets you may have are dead (no dial tone)

(2) With your phone pluged in to the test socket. dial 17070 and select option 2, You should now hear nothing but a low hiss, no crackle of pops. If you do hear a lot of noise, then report this to BT (or whoever you pay your line rental to) as line noise. dont mention broadband.

(3) If the line is o.k, connect your router and phone to the test socket using a filter. Dial 17070 option 2 again, the line should still sound the same, and there should be no effect on BB sync. If all is o.k, dial 17070 option 1, and when asked to "clear down" hang up. The phone will now ring, there should be no effect on the broadband sync.
      If any of the tests in (3) fail then report this to you ISP.

If you have noise on an extension, then there is a problem with your internal wiring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12