Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SMTP BOT Warning ( Account Suspend ) Important to all Sky Broadband Users

This is a discussion on SMTP BOT Warning ( Account Suspend ) Important to all Sky Broadband Users within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I don't usually post on the this forum but I thought you Sky Users should know about a current problem ...

r0s
      r0s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation SMTP BOT Warning ( Account Suspend ) Important to all Sky Broadband Users

I don't usually post on the this forum but I thought you Sky Users should know about a current problem which I recently faced and which was complete unknown to me until my account was suspended and I ran some system tests.

A couple of days ago my router decided to fail to get a stable DSL light which means two things , the exchange is down or my account was either unpaid or suspended.

After calling Sky they said my account was suspended , which was quite surprising at first I thought I was bandwidth issue but it turns out my system was infected with a Bot Net which I was not aware of...

Sky advice was to re-install the OS and once that was done they would re activate the account but this was a 3 strike warning.

-

Before I re-installed Vista did some tests I ran multiple anti-virus / malware applications including Counter Spy / Vipre / Malwarebytes and Spybot which all came up with just tracking cookies...nothing out of the usual...

So I was convinced my system was clean so I downloaded some TCP Traffic Monitoring Tools , ( Wireshark ) and began to monitor my outbound and inbound TCP Traffic.....

I was really shocked to see SMTP traffic being sent to random email addresses from my Router...including .GOV sites including the pentagon.gov

*The Black / Red data displays bad / unknown traffic , if you look you can see the SMTP Protocol and email address...as far I know there is no way to remove this besides from blocking ports 25 which is pointless if you use SMTP mail.

After a clean install and patched the system is now fine but please check your traffic today...this might of been posted before but I hope this information helps you.

Thanks

( See Screen Shots )
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SMTP BOT Warning ( Account Suspend ) Important to all Sky Broadband Users-hack.jpg   SMTP BOT Warning ( Account Suspend ) Important to all Sky Broadband Users-hack2.jpg  

2. Advertisement