Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upgraded to Unlimited - no speed increase

This is a discussion on Upgraded to Unlimited - no speed increase within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Would appreciate a bit of help. Apologies first of all as I'm posting from work so can't get ...

knighty76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Upgraded to Unlimited - no speed increase

Hi All,

Would appreciate a bit of help. Apologies first of all as I'm posting from work so can't get my stats - can put them up later if it helps. My Sky router is the black one (Netgear?) and I've got it connected in on the main test socket.

I upgraded from Everyday to Unlimited on Monday, told it takes less than 24hrs. I can see from logging on to My Sky that this has been done, but my speed is exactly the same to a single bit per second!

I didn't expect big things as I've always had a fairly rubbish speed. I'm around 5km from my exchange. On the Everyday package I was getting around 1800kbps. I had a problem a while back when Sky upgraded their gear at the exchange and the speed dropped - I eventually got through to a guy at Sky (CST??) who was able to tweak my upload/download limits to optimise my speed, which stabliized it at 1888kbps - exactly what I have now.

Could it be that these manual caps are still in effect, hence no improvement in speed after the upgrade?

Alternatively, I might just be getting all I'll ever get. However, a mate of mine had a similar rubbish speed on Everyday (1500kbps) and he's now hitting 3000kbps with Unlimited. Before Sky I had a brief (and expensive) stint with BE Broadband on their 24Mb package and did manage 3-and-a-bit Mb, but I think that was ADSLMax??!

After upgrade would any manual caps be removed and DML be taking place, or will I need to get on the blower to CST?

PS How do I do that - is there an easy way to get through to CST?

Thanks all for any help.

Cheers, Rich.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Upgraded to Unlimited - no speed increase

First, you'll be going through DLM for the next 10 or so days so you have to wait on that. Second, post your router stats and we'll let you know if anything more is available...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I eventually got through to a guy at Sky (CST??) who was able to tweak my upload/download limits to optimise my speed, which stabliized it at 1888kbps - exactly what I have now.
      If this was the best speed you could get on Everyday, you will not see any increase. Remember it is up to 20 Mb, there is no guarantee that you will get anywhere near this. The only advantage to you is the Unlimited download.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

knighty76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      First, you'll be going through DLM for the next 10 or so days so you have to wait on that. Second, post your router stats and we'll let you know if anything more is available...

Thanks for the reply. I've just checked my router again, and my speed has gone down!!!!!!! My router is actually the black Sagem. Router stats attached as jpeg and below, appreciate any help.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1369 kbps 542 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 36.8 db
      Noise Margin 10.6 db 10.5 db

Personally I feel that my line is a lot cr*pper than it should be, even though I'm 4.5km from the exchange. I've asked BT to look at it before, but they say that if I can make voice calls then my line isn't classed as faulty. But I'm not happy about my speed going down after the upgrade, what a downer!!

Cheers again all, this is a really helpful forum.

Thanks, Rich.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgraded to Unlimited - no speed increase-router-stats.jpg  

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Call Sky when DLM is finished and they will manually set your line. You could call now, but it depends on who you get whether they will do anything. You should get at least another Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.