Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Quick question re: Down/Upspeed

This is a discussion on Quick question re: Down/Upspeed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I contacted sky earlier this week as by BB had dropped from 16mb to 12mb over a few months. ...

Ross is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quick question re: Down/Upspeed

Hi,

I contacted sky earlier this week as by BB had dropped from 16mb to 12mb over a few months. They corrected this and put me up to the full 20mb as they said my line could handle it. They asked me to keep them updated with the speeds and currently my router is displaying:

Downstream: 18513mb
      Upstream: 924

I emailed them with the new stats and they have informed me that I am losing 1.5mb somewhere. I have disconnected the phone from the line and nothing has changed. I am always connected to the master socket.

I've read on the forums about pulling some cables out of the master socket (all but 2 or 5 as we don't use the others here..though I can't find the thread with the direction again now). Would this pulling on cables potentially work for this loss of 1.5mb?

Router stats:

Thanks,

Ross
      Xbox 360 Forums

Sky Box: Sky+ HD 250gb
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800n (downstream: 19993 kb/s upstream: 946kb/s)

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Quick question re: Down/Upspeed

With your attenuation, I think you are getting all you can.

Do youhave any extension sockets? if you don't then you should be getting the same speed from the Test socket that you are from the Master.

If you have a TEST socket, get the stats from there, if you can get faster then this will show you.

Ross is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      With your attenuation, I think you are getting all you can.

Do youhave any extension sockets? if you don't then you should be getting the same speed from the Test socket that you are from the Master.

If you have a TEST socket, get the stats from there, if you can get faster then this will show you.
      The test socket, that's the one behind the faceplate on the main socket isn't it? Is so sorry my bad, I keep referring to it as the master. Yes I am always plugged directly into the test socket.

No there are no extensions in the house, just the main point.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want to spend the next week emailing back and forth to find out it wouldn't hit the 20mb they've been saying.

Thanks for your help
      Xbox 360 Forums

Sky Box: Sky+ HD 250gb
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800n (downstream: 19993 kb/s upstream: 946kb/s)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think the agent you spoke to must have been a bit of an optimist, there is no way you are going to get 20 Mbs with an attention of 28dbs, in fact you are doing very well getting 18.

If you don't have extensions wired to your master socket, then you will not have a bell wire.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.