Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sagem router and plugging in a Buffalo NAS? Help!!

This is a discussion on Sagem router and plugging in a Buffalo NAS? Help!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Heres my problem, i hope one of you network wizz's can help get me sorted out: Moved house. Had orange ...

ti_pin_man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Sagem router and plugging in a Buffalo NAS? Help!!

Heres my problem, i hope one of you network wizz's can help get me sorted out:

Moved house. Had orange broadband. Signed up to Sky as part of package with TV/phone.
      Recieved sagem router, plugged in, connected and enabled and all works, surfs fine.
      Use x2 laptops and itouch, the former are pretty standard XP pro wintel builds.
      Plugged in NAS device. Buffalo 500gb livestation NAS with holiday photos and my mp3's.
      Doesnt get recognised on router.
      Plugged into laptop and it finds it straight off, connects and works.
      Checked and has an IP address ok from laptop.

So how do I get the NAS to work with the sky router? Any clues?

H-elp.

I was tempted to use the username/password tool here and set up my old netgear router and try that and still i am tempted but ideally I fancy doing it the proper way, wahtever that means. Any clues?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sagem router and plugging in a Buffalo NAS? Help!!

What address is the NAS using? It could still be using the address for the Orange router. You may have to press a reset button to allow it to pick up a new address from the Sky router. Plug it into your laptop again, open a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all and hit enter. This will show you the address the NAS is using.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I was thinking possibly the same, I'll check it when i get home and post up here. ta.

Thanks

I could be wrong about ipconfig, it may show an internal address like 164.254.x.x. But try it and see.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK the NAS is 192.168.0.4 I plugged it into the laptop and reset IP.
      Now when I attach it to the router and then ethernet cable the laptop to the other port on the router, the laptop can see the NAS but then when I disconnect and go wireless it cant.

If I log onto the router its now listed as an attached device. Looks like i need to find out how to make it available to all... no idea how, any router things i can do?

Thanks

First check that the Wireless Isolation box is not ticked in the Wireless Settings. This is the only thing in the router that I can think of that would block a connection.

I would advise going into the LAN settings and reserving the .04. address for the NAS. This will prevent possible IP conflicts, as this could also stop you connecting. Do this and then reboot the laptop to allow it to pick up new IP addresses. I would advise putting all your regular machines in the Reserved address list, remembering that your wireless adapter and ethernet adapter will have different addresses.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

the isolation box wasn't ticked, but I added the IP to the reserved list, rebooted the laptop and also reinstalled the nas client to the laptop, after that it was all fine. I think the issue was the IP address had been retained on the nas from my old network and resetting it for the DHCP on the sagem was the answer.

Thanks for all the help, really grateful.