Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

PN on Sky CONNECT slowed down this week @ Peak times (0.02kbps) ? Any ideas?

This is a discussion on PN on Sky CONNECT slowed down this week @ Peak times (0.02kbps) ? Any ideas? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; VPN on Sky CONNECT slowed down this week @ Peak times (0.02kbps) ? Any ideas? Hello, VPN has been covered ...

RickT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

VPN on Sky CONNECT slowed down this week @ Peak times (0.02kbps) ? Any ideas?

VPN on Sky CONNECT slowed down this week @ Peak times (0.02kbps) ? Any ideas?

Hello,

VPN has been covered a lot in the past here and on other forums, which I have read but not found the answer to my question.

I am currently on "CONNECT" (you may see from another thread i can leave within contract due to the poor service i have had due to connection speeds at peak times, but less about that now)and in the meantime between switching from CONNECT I have a question regarding VPN.

I currently have one of the NEW Black Netgear Router's and VPN works fine when OFF PEAK -

Off Peak a Speedtest.net returns a connection of 5.00mb which i can live with..

However..... PEAK TIMES, i only get a 0.02kbps connection!!!!! If i run a speedtest,net side by side with my personal laptop that gets a steady 0.70kbps at peak times.

Im fully aware of SKY's traffic management application, but was not aware it can and does throttle VPN at peak times too??

Is there any way around this??

The VPN worked ok at peak times all last week slow, but workable but seems to have nose dived this week..

Has anyone else seen this in the last week or have any advice??

Cheers

Rick
      Last edited by RickT; 28-01-10 at 03:03 PM.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: PN on Sky CONNECT slowed down this week @ Peak times (0.02kbps) ? Any ideas?

RickT
      Hi one speed test to forget speedtest,net there are many speed testers which give a more accurate speed and performance test. plus on connect it has to be the Bt Bt Updated Speed Tester if you would like to see if the speeds match other speed and performance testers which I do. Use Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester also thinkbroadband :: Broadband Speed Test and Broadband Speed Checker - THE UK's No.1 Broadband Speed Test I am sorry cannot give you any information on VPN (Virtual Private Network)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: PN on Sky CONNECT slowed down this week @ Peak times (0.02kbps) ? Any ideas?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I have already been down the BT SpeedTester route and confirmed that the connectuion is 6MEG @ the exchange, its Sky traffic shaping causing the issues.

Im more intrested in why VPN is been nailed at peak time compared to gernal useage like browsing?

Cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks

I can now confirm this is only affected @ peak times..

Off peak... speedtest.net reports a connection speed of 4/5mb when logged in via VPN, on peak @ 6pm, down to 0.03kbps!

I still need to find another BB supplier but cant do much due to my exchange and still suck with Sky Talk!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The latest change in terms from Sky may get you out of Sky talk and Connect. You should have received a leaflet dated February 2010, with your Sky Mag. Have a read of it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.