Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How To Block A Laptop From Logging In To Router.

This is a discussion on How To Block A Laptop From Logging In To Router. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; How can I prevent a laptop logging into the router, I need to lock out the kids after a certain ...

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

How To Block A Laptop From Logging In To Router.

How can I prevent a laptop logging into the router, I need to lock out the kids after a certain time.

My old Belkin router used to have a list of ip's can't find a thing on Sky Router it's a Sagem router.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

2. Advertisement
      *skys*the*limit* is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLEF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT AC68U
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: How To Block A Laptop From Logging In To Router.

do you mean connecting to the internet - or actually gaining access to the router administrative pages ?

Thanks

Sorry was not clear block from the net.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

peanut is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

take the laptop away at 9pm
      couldn't you just turn the laptop's wireless card connection off at the taskbar ?

Google is your friend timed internet access software - Google Search

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

when i want to block my children off the internet if say i ground one of them i change the password on the router and i and only i can type it in on the laptops as i dont tell them the password

so within 2 minutes any computer can be blocked and when i allow access again just change the password back to what it was before

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It should be possible to block devices from the Net at chosen times. You can do this by using the Block Sites and Schedule functions of the router. You would have to use a range of words such as www, www2.and ftp. Use the Schedule section to set the times Blocking should be done.

I don't have a Sagem so I don't know exactly how it will be done but if you find the 'Block Sites' section you should find instructions there.

In the Blocked sites section you will find a section to allow a trusted IP address. Put the PC you want to exclude from the rules into the Address Reservation list, using its IP address.

I should add that some find the Block Sites function does not work on their router, I don't know why.

I should also say you will have to block access to the router settings by using a strong password and also physically to prevent the reset being used.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

If they have a wireless connection go to the wireless settings page under the Setup menu and set up a wireless station access list.

This is a list of MAC addresses of computers allowed to access the router by a wireless connection (physical addresses of the network adapters in the computers).

On the Wireless Station access list page I suggest adding each new station manually. This way you can give each MAC address a meaningful label such as the name of that computer.

To find out the MAC address, go to that computer and run cmd.exe (command prompt) and type ipconfig /all. The address you want is the "physical address" of the connected network adapter. Be aware that ipconfig shows each byte of the physical address separated by a dash (e.g. 00-30-1B-BE-21-0C) but in the router you must enter it separated by colons (e.g. 00:30:1B:BE:21:0C)

After adding addresses of all computer that will access the router by a wireless connection (including your own, if relevant) tick the "Turn access control on" box and apply the settings.

To temporarily revoke their right of access, either delete their address from the list or make a slight change to the last digit (remembering what you changed, so that you can easily change it back again to renew their access permission).

----------

An alternative method, if they connect via a wired or wireless connection is to limit the number of IP addresses that can be assigned by the DHCP server in the router.
      Go to "LAN IP Setup" on the Advanced menu.

To limit the number of computers that can connect to the router reduce the "Ending IP address".
      For example, to allow only 3 devices (computers or games consoles etc.) to connect you could set "Starting IP Address" to 192.168.0.2 and "Ending IP address" to 192.168.0.4.

Next add address reservations for all computers, games consoles etc. so that the specified MAC address always gets allocated the same IP address every time.
      Put the computer(s) you would like to occasionally restrict access from at the end of this list.
      In the above example, this would be 192.168.0.4.

To block access, reduce the Ending IP address to below this IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.3 in this example).
      The computer with the MAC address that has a reserved IP address of 192.168.0.4 is now outside the range of available IP addresses and so will be unable to get an IP address. Hence Internet access will be blocked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It should be possible to block devices from the Net at chosen times. You can do this by using the Block Sites and Schedule functions of the router. You would have to use a range of words such as www, www2.and ftp. Use the Schedule section to set the times Blocking should be done.

I don't have a Sagem so I don't know exactly how it will be done but if you find the 'Block Sites' section you should find instructions there.

In the Blocked sites section you will find a section to allow a trusted IP address. Put the PC you want to exclude from the rules into the Address Reservation list, using its IP address.

I should add that some find the Block Sites function does not work on their router, I don't know why.

I should also say you will have to block access to the router settings by using a strong password and also physically to prevent the reset being used.
      I have tried using the block sites feature in the Sagem router.
      Although it works, it only allows a list of 16 addresses or domains.

The scheduled times can not cross midnight, so, for example it is not possible to ban access between 10pm (22:00) and 7am (07:00) because the end hour must be numerically bigger than the start hour.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
      How can I prevent a laptop logging into the router, I need to lock out the kids after a certain time.
      If the laptop is running Vista or Windows 7 the parental controls are very effective at logging them off after a certain hour.

This assumes that the account that they use to log into the laptop does not have administrative rights and you have another account on the same computer with admin rights from which to setup these time limits.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How To Block A Laptop From Logging In To Router.-parental-controls.jpg   How To Block A Laptop From Logging In To Router.-hours.jpg  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToeKnee View Post
      If they have a wireless connection go to the wireless settings page under the Setup menu and set up a wireless station access list.

This is a list of MAC addresses of computers allowed to access the router by a wireless connection (physical addresses of the network adapters in the computers).

On the Wireless Station access list page I suggest adding each new station manually. This way you can give each MAC address a meaningful label such as the name of that computer.

To find out the MAC address, go to that computer and run cmd.exe (command prompt) and type ipconfig /all. The address you want is the "physical address" of the connected network adapter. Be aware that ipconfig shows each byte of the physical address separated by a dash (e.g. 00-30-1B-BE-21-0C) but in the router you must enter it separated by colons (e.g. 00:30:1B:BE:21:0C)

After adding addresses of all computer that will access the router by a wireless connection (including your own, if relevant) tick the "Turn access control on" box and apply the settings.

To temporarily revoke their right of access, either delete their address from the list or make a slight change to the last digit (remembering what you changed, so that you can easily change it back again to renew their access permission).

----------

An alternative method, if they connect via a wired or wireless connection is to limit the number of IP addresses that can be assigned by the DHCP server in the router.
      Go to "LAN IP Setup" on the Advanced menu.

To limit the number of computers that can connect to the router reduce the "Ending IP address".
      For example, to allow only 3 devices (computers or games consoles etc.) to connect you could set "Starting IP Address" to 192.168.0.2 and "Ending IP address" to 192.168.0.4.

Next add address reservations for all computers, games consoles etc. so that the specified MAC address always gets allocated the same IP address every time.
      Put the computer(s) you would like to occasionally restrict access from at the end of this list.
      In the above example, this would be 192.168.0.4.

To block access, reduce the Ending IP address to below this IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.3 in this example).
      The computer with the MAC address that has a reserved IP address of 192.168.0.4 is now outside the range of available IP addresses and so will be unable to get an IP address. Hence Internet access will be blocked.
      Thanks Mate.

That's what I was looking for.

And thanks to all the others for their replies.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast