Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How To Block A Laptop From Logging In To Router.

This is a discussion on How To Block A Laptop From Logging In To Router. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; To block access, reduce the Ending IP address to below this IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.3 in this example) . The ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: How To Block A Laptop From Logging In To Router.

To block access, reduce the Ending IP address to below this IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.3 in this example).
      The computer with the MAC address that has a reserved IP address of 192.168.0.4 is now outside the range of available IP addresses and so will be unable to get an IP address. Hence Internet access will be blocked.
      This will work if the user has little PC knowledge, but it is very easy to give the PC a fixed address outside the DHCP range, which will permit access.

I have tried using the block sites feature in the Sagem router.
      Although it works, it only allows a list of 16 addresses or domains.
      Did you try entering www. www2. ftp. http:// Using these as keywords should block most sites.

I did not think you could only block to 24 hours, I don't get an error when I put in from 22.00 to 09.00.

I have discovered that it does not work with IE8 for some reason.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This will work if the user has little PC knowledge, but it is very easy to give the PC a fixed address outside the DHCP range, which will permit access.
      This is true. If they give themselves a static IP address within the same subnet, then providing there is no conflict with another address on the LAN, they will still get access.
      Fortunately most kids don't have detailed knowledge about IP addresses and subnets. (They do tend to know about proxy servers though!).

If you don't allow them to login to their computer via an account with admin rights then they won't be able to change their IP address.

Did you try entering www. www2. ftp. http:// Using these as keywords should block most sites.

I did not think you could only block to 24 hours, I don't get an error when I put in from 22.00 to 09.00.
      If you only want to block specific sites then the small size of the list is a real limitation.

I found that although I was allowed to enter times crossing midnight, it did not actually work. If the times did not cross midnight then the blocking was successful.

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Would putting a PC in the wireless access list effect the port forwarding for torrents ???

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Thanks

It should not make any difference. If you turn on the Wireless access list and do not include a wireless connected PC, it will not be able to connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Tarpey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Earlsdon
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Sorry for the mega-bump!

I found the information in this thread really useful, but I have to point out a couple of pretty big oversights here which are worth mentioning.

All the restrictions listed over the last couple of pages can be easily circumvented by anyone with physical access to the router itself: By resetting the router, all of the above restrictions are lifted, and anyone with the default key will have access to everything.

Along the same lines, a length of ethernet cabling, will also grant immediate 'trusted access'.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpey View Post
      ...All the restrictions listed over the last couple of pages can be easily circumvented by anyone with physical access to the router itself: By resetting the router, all of the above restrictions are lifted, and anyone with the default key will have access to everything.
      Of course if someone has physical access to a router, then all the above restrictions can be bypassed, but then you may have to consider who you allow into your home.

As for lengths of Ethernet cable, surely someone would spot a new cable coming from the router?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Tarpey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Earlsdon
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Of course if someone has physical access to a router, then all the above restrictions can be bypassed, but then you may have to consider who you allow into your home.
      I can't argue with that, I'm also selective about who I let into my home!

I felt it worth raising the point as the thread was about restrictions that might be applied within your home. Depending on where your router is stored, the security measures above could be defeated with a length of cable to allow for some out of hours surfing.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpey View Post
      the security measures above could be defeated with a length of cable to allow for some out of hours surfing.
      Not recomended but if you glue the cable to you PC into the router and into the NIC on the PC and glue blank plugs in the unused ports on the router you can stop that.

Or you could put the router in a locked enclosure which would also prevent reset button tampering.
      Would there be a market for such an enclosure?

Andy

Thanks

All the restrictions listed over the last couple of pages can be easily circumvented by anyone with physical access to the router itself: By resetting the router, all of the above restrictions are lifted, and anyone with the default key will have access to everything.
      I don't think you have read the thread very well

It should be possible to block devices from the Net at chosen times. You can do this by using the Block Sites and Schedule functions of the router...................
      I should also say you will have to block access to the router settings by using a strong password and also physically to prevent the reset being used.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12