Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed halved a few days after upgrading to Unlimited

This is a discussion on Speed halved a few days after upgrading to Unlimited within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently upgraded from Everyday to Unlimited. Before the upgrade I typically got about 7.9Mb/s downstream. My downstream connection speed ...

ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Speed halved a few days after upgrading to Unlimited

I recently upgraded from Everyday to Unlimited.

Before the upgrade I typically got about 7.9Mb/s downstream.

My downstream connection speed was 9234.

A few days after the upgrade (about a week ago) DLM must have started as my connection speed went up to 10234 and I was typically getting 8.9Mb/s.

Unfortunately the last 2 or 3 days it has dropped to about 4.9Mb/s.

It does not make a difference if I disconnect all phones & Sky boxes and connect to the test socket. (I have an ADSL Nation XTE-2005 filtered faceplate).

My connection speed has changed very slightly.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10236 kbps 926 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 21.6 db
      Noise Margin 5.5 db 9.0 db

Should I phone Sky or wait a few more days to see if DLM sorts things out?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Speed halved a few days after upgrading to Unlimited

You are connecting at a good speed for your attenuation. Try a wired speedtest here and post the results http://www.skyuser.co.uk/speedtester/ Speedtests done by wireless are never consistent, you should establish your best ethernet speed first.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You are connecting at a good speed for your attenuation. Try a wired speedtest here and post the results http://www.skyuser.co.uk/speedtester/ Speedtests done by wireless are never consistent, you should establish your best ethernet speed first.
      I've just ordered some HomePlug AV adapters, so I'll retry when they arrive.

The 7.9Mb/s (before the upgrade) was fairly consistent though. Windows 7 claims I have "excellent" reception.

The strange thing is that I found the results of a speed test I posted back in July last year and my stats were:

Connection Speed 8096 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 db 23.0 db
      Noise Margin 11.1 db 13.0 db

The line seems to be a lot noisier now and, strangely, my attenuation seems to have increased.
      I know that noise can vary, but I thought that attenuation was fairly constant and related to the length of the line to the exchange.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The rise in attenuation and drop in SNR looks like it is due to your downstream connection being uncapped and stuck on adsl2plus now. The line attenuation usually bumps up a few dbs on adsl2plus compared to g.dmt.

Your sync speed is good - SNR is a little on the low side which may be contributing to the slow throughput, so I'd suggest rebooting the router tomorrow morning and get a 'healthy' SNR (7db or above) and re-run the speed test. If it's still giving you bother, then more than likely the wireless is the problem, in which case home-plugs or ethernet speed testing would be able to confirm.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The 7.9Mb/s (before the upgrade) was fairly consistent though. Windows 7 claims I have "excellent" reception.
      Unfortunately having a strong signal is not the same as having a good connection. Although the strength of the signal may be 'excellent' this does not mean that the quality is the same. It is a bit like turning a speaker up to full volume, it may be very loud, but the sound will usually be distorted.

As mentioned, ADSL2+ uses higher frequencies than G.DMT(ADSL1) so the attenuation usually increases by 2-4 dbs. I disagree with the previous post in that I think you should boot during a noisy time when your noise margin is low, about 9 pm. This should cause you to resync at a slightly lower speed which will be more stable and could result in a higher all-round speed. Forcing the router to sync at the highest speed possible will cause errors when the noise margin drops, resulting in the actual throughput being reduced.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Isitme's correct regarding the time to re-sync the router. I must have been having a brain-fart moment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As mentioned, ADSL2+ uses higher frequencies than G.DMT(ADSL1) so the attenuation usually increases by 2-4 dbs. I disagree with the previous post in that I think you should boot during a noisy time when your noise margin is low, about 9 pm. This should cause you to resync at a slightly lower speed which will be more stable and could result in a higher all-round speed. Forcing the router to sync at the highest speed possible will cause errors when the noise margin drops, resulting in the actual throughput being reduced.
      Forcing the router to re-sync at a slightly lower connection speed seems to have done the trick.

Before the re-sync I got about 5.0 Mb/s downstream.

After the re-sync I am back to 8.89Mb/s.

Connection Speed 10233 kbps 884 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5 db 21.7 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 9.0 db

Thanks guys.