Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

intermittent drop outs

This is a discussion on intermittent drop outs within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; HI, Been with sky for a couple months and have been having a few problems, im onto my second router ...

pau1200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halesowen
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

intermittent drop outs

HI,

Been with sky for a couple months and have been having a few problems, im onto my second router but still get intermittent drops in connection, luckily they appear to happen when the internet is not being used, ive had a couple when using xbox live. my stats are :

Connection Speed 10549 kbps 762 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.0 db 9.6 db
      Noise Margin 9.3 db 9.8 db

i know i should be getting a faster speed but sky limited my connection to try and stop the drop outs, but it doesnt work. anyone got any ideas, should i push for a bt visit?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: intermittent drop outs

First plug into your Test socket, link below and post your stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

They were the stats from my test socket, tbh i do not see any improvement between using the test socket and the normal socket

Thanks

Does your noise margin decrease in your normal socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

its does by about 1db but the attenuation remains the same. The noise margin changes at various points of the day, i have posted the worst results. When the line used to sync at 16mb i would get regular drop outs and the internet connection was unusable. When i was with O2 broadband before i used to get a good 15mb connection, that was 2 years ago. The line had been disconnected since then, when we moved to virgin. I dont really want to loose anymore speed and the guy i spoke to before said it was either a faulty modem or a line fault. Im worried that if bt come out they will only do a quick line test find nothing wrong and ill get a 130 bill

Thanks

Don't even consider getting BT out for broadband problems, all they will do is check the voice side is OK and slap you with a bill. If you think your line needs checked, always use Sky to call out BT as they will send a broadband engineer to do the tests. They are not keen on doing it as BT charge a lot for the service.

If that is your worst figures it may be worth calling Sky and ask them to up your speed a bit as it appears you are capped.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

the problem is if they increase the speed then he conenction becomes unstable even though the noise margins look o.k. Thats what the tier 2 support said, they really didnt want to help much more as they can slow the line down further to decrease the drop outs. I must admit the guy was helpfull in some ways but not others, his approach was if i can put you on 4mb and you get a stable connection thats what he would do rather than try and fix the problem.

Thanks

Its up to you really, you have said the drop outs happen mainly when you are not using the connection, so they do not really matter. If they start happening when you are using the connection, that is a different story.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I guess your right, its good 90% of the time, ill give them a ring tonight and see if they increase the speed a little and see what happens then.