Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need some help

This is a discussion on Need some help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My connection has been fine for years since first going on Sky, just after xmas the connection seemed to get ...

evokazz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Need some help

My connection has been fine for years since first going on Sky, just after xmas the connection seemed to get a little slower, not much, but noticeable change.

Past 2 weeks I have been getting drop outs, random disconnects rather, and today its just sky rocketed. My connection is fine one minute, then dead the next, it comes and goes that fast the yellow light does not even get chance to show on the router, it simply dies, then reconnects, normally this would be ok, but since I online game a lot, I am disconnecting all the time!

I just phoned the BB support number, and have spoken to the biggest idiot I have ever spoke to on the phone, he did not have a clue how to help me, in the end he told me he was certain I would be fine, and not to worry, but he did nothing to help fix the problem!! wtf? still disconnecting, and slow speeds.

I have master socket, with a faceplate on it that has 2 sockets, one for phone and one for BB, so I am directly connected to master socket, the faceplate has built in microfilter, so no need for the Sky provided ones. My stats page shows the full 8MB I am able to reach where I live, which is fine for me, even on Max I am happy with 8MB, but it is so unstable, and now slow as hell, any ideas? I dont wanna call Sky back as it seems like it's an Indian call centre maybe?? and they have no clue, I need to speak to someone English who understands what the hell I am saying!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Need some help

All I can suggest is that you call again and ask for your line to be tested or to be put through to the CST. It is possible your line has developed a fault or your router is a bit dodgy. Even though you have a filtered faceplate, I would still advise plugging directly into the Test socket when you call. This can save having to disconnect and call back as they invariably ask you to do this to rule out internal faults.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They did a test from the exchange and said it was fine. But I have a feeling it's probably something line noise margin or something else silly I don't understand.

Sometimes pages load real fast like they should, then 1 second later it stays at "looking up" on both FF and IE - I then get page can't be displayed, I close the browser, reload it and it loads fine, then the process repeats, in between the net is real slow.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evokazz View Post
      They did a test from the exchange and said it was fine. But I have a feeling it's probably something line noise margin or something else silly I don't understand.

Sometimes pages load real fast like they should, then 1 second later it stays at "looking up" on both FF and IE - I then get page can't be displayed, I close the browser, reload it and it loads fine, then the process repeats, in between the net is real slow.
      That'll just be checking whether your exchange is shown on the fault list. Post up your router stats whilst the internet is fine, and post a set of stats whilst webpages are 'hanging' and timing out. Sounds like you're building errors which kill your throughput and cause packet loss and eventually your SNRs dropping so low, it'll force a re-sync.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok left on overnight, and woke up today to blazing fast internet yay, it will probably screw up during the day but here are the stats for now while it is working.

System Up Time 09:23:01
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 790372 731663 0 14325 13234 09:22:06
      LAN 10M/100M 761382 834132 0 13779 15009 09:22:58
      WLAN 11M/54M 14551 0 0 114 0 09:22:50

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7645 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 db 25.8 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 13.5 db

Hopefully that makes sense cos it all mumbo jumbo to me lol.

Also to note, even though I am a Max Unlimited package, the most my line can get here is 8MB so speeds seem fine there, that's about all I do know though lol.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Well, you're on adsl2plus which may be helping towards the time-outs etc. and the line may need changed to g.dmt by sky. When it hangs or won't go onto webpages, post up the router stats.