Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband Speeds...

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Speeds... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi We upgraded our Sky Broadband package yesterday evening from the Everyday/10MB package to the Unlimited/20MB package, mainly due to ...

d3moliti0n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Speeds...

Hi

We upgraded our Sky Broadband package yesterday evening from the Everyday/10MB package to the Unlimited/20MB package, mainly due to the fact that they decided to change the monthly usage allowance on the 10MB package from 40GB per month to 10GB per month. But with this upgrade I was hoping for an increase in speed which doesn't seem to have happened. I'm basically still getting the maximum download speed of 530KB/s. Is this right? I only live about 1 mile away from the exchange (0.9mi according to Google Maps), although I know you have to take into account that there could be a lot more cabling connecting your to the exchange etc, but still, even then it shouldn't be more than 1.5/2 miles away.

Does it take Sky a while to increase the speed or should it be a change that occurs within a few hours? As the package changed within the hour last night but again, no signs of a speed increase.

Here are my router stats (taken 30 seconds ago):

These look pretty much the same as before the change. Does that look right? Also, I've heard something about people having their connections locked to a certain speed (I think it's called DLM or something) by Sky, and that they contacted people in Sky and with some persuasion they unlocked the speed and it went from like 8MB to 14MB or something, do you think that is what is happening here?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Back when we were with Tiscali (again, the Unlimited package), which was about a year and a half ago now since we changed to Sky, the download speeds on this line were reach about 700KB/s, so I don't see why I can't get those type of speeds now with Sky.
      Last edited by d3moliti0n; 24-01-10 at 11:13 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Speeds...

That downstream noise margin shows a problem with noise. Connect to the test socket and post the stats again, if they improve it points to an internal wiring problem. You should get to around the 8Mb mark if the line is good.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi

I think that might have just been a glitch as it seems normal now. Still not any faster though, even though the noise problem is solved:

Also, I used that website in your signature to test my internet speed etc, this is the result:

Thanks.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

its not solved - its just gone back. you still need to check the test socket as if the noise margin goes up you've got a wiring issue. plus, you'll be going through DLM as you've upgraded...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, so when does the connection stop going through DLM?

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d3moliti0n View Post
      Ok, so when does the connection stop going through DLM?
      DLM can take upto 10 days to complete, but i would try the test socket now as it will not really make any difference to the DLM process.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

also if your noise margin is higher through the test socket the DLM will configure your speed higher, the problem then is when the router is moved backed to its orginal position, if the noise keeps dropping and DLM has configured your line to the best speed available from the test socket your router will lose sync whenever the noise margin drops. definately worth checking the internal wiring(any extension cables? all sockets in use filtered? any noise on the line? etc)