Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Received router, can I test it?

This is a discussion on Received router, can I test it? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, my first post I received my router yesterday, and I`m due to migrate (from zen) next wednesday to ...

pr1970 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealing LWEA
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Received router, can I test it?

Hi All,

my first post

I received my router yesterday, and I`m due to migrate (from zen) next wednesday to sky max. I`m wanting to check the router is working ok, mainly to check its ok with my D-Link DWL-520+ pc card.
      Question is, is this a good idea whilst I still have my zen internet account and dlink router operating?
      I`m just trying to reduce any delays I might have with getting connected, if i need to get a new wireless card or the sky router isnt working I have time to get replacements before migration next week.

thanks alot
      Paul

2. Advertisement
      Scooby_Doo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMNUN - Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      There's nothing stopping you just plugging in the router with no other connections and just checking the wireless side of things.

You can unplug your current router and try plugging the SKY one in the telephone line it should sync if you have a live ADSL line, obviously it won't login or get an IP until the SKY switch over occurs..

I did all this when I got mine just to check it worked. One note, mine synced a whole 1MB lower than when SKY was finally activated..

Scooby

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Paul

Scooby is correct I did the very same thing when I got mine, I also have a few different wireless cards and adaptors and they all configured with no problems.

If you are going to use WEP then you will need to copy the first key from the router when you set that up as some cards and adaptors may not create the same key as the router or so linksys told me when I was trying to get my sons PS2 adaptor to work. Prior to that I have always use WPA-PSK and that works great.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies,

So am I right in thinking that I can just connect the ethernet cable upto the sky router too and check the configuration (as I would my d-link router). Also, should I create a new wireless connection on windows xp to check the wireless is working? i dont want to screw up my existing network setup.

sorry i`m not to clever when it comes to networking.

Paul

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You can do just that but no need to setup a new wireless connection just disable the one in your currant router, then connect the Netgear and log into the admin page

If you are not sure how to do this login clicking on this link

http://192.168.0.1 A little box will pop-up
      the default username/password is admin/sky

Edit the wireless setting so the match the old router the turn off the wireless security and let what ever you want to connect as normal, then just configure the security the way you want to and re-enable it make sure that the other PCs still connect and you will be ready to go.

Thats what I did anyway.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok thanks ray, i`ll give it a try this weekend.

Paul

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      NP

Have fun
      Ray

click here