Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

another newbie noise question.

This is a discussion on another newbie noise question. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi guys ive always read lots of posts topics on this site and found it really helpfull. ive decided to ...

pendulum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

another newbie noise question.

hi guys ive always read lots of posts topics on this site and found it really helpfull.
      ive decided to join because ive just upgraded to sky max (only yetserday) i know theres a 10 day line training period but was hopin if someone could tell me what speeds i could expect.
      something i notice tho while on the mid package (everyday) is that my noise margin goes up and down. at 1 point in the day (mainly morning) its at around 13 down but then another time its at 7.
      which is the better the higher or lower? an why is it moving around?
      i have fitted a adsl nation filter socket about 6 months ago and after testin the main socket my speed doesnt change (ive had 6meg down before)
      i got a feeling ive been capped (spoke to a chap o the phone at sky once an he couldnt understand why i was capped an he said he would remove it)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3232 kbps 672 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 db 29.0 db
      Noise Margin 13.8 db 17.0 db

thanx in advance for any help... wayne

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: another newbie noise question.

the higher your noise margin the better! if your noise margin drops to low then your internet will disconnect so the higher it is the more room there is to send extra speed(which will lower the noise margin).

according to your attenuation you should be able to receive 6-8mb but if the noise margin is dropping down to 7 at certain times of the day then its likely your connection would become unstable at these times of the day if sky increase the download speed.

were those stats taken from master socket via pre-filtered faceplate or from the test socket(details in my signature). if those stats weren't from the test socket please post results from test socket as well are you still using a short adsl cable(couple of foot long) to connect the router to the phone line?

the 10 day training period is supposed to kick in within 72 hours of upgrading anyway and it is important that you leave the router switched on/plugged in when possible as the DLM will assume the router has lost connection/the line is unstable

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanx m8 for the quick an educational reply.
      the stats are from the wall socket (not test socket) i found ages ago before fittin the adsl nation plate my speeds were 6meg but after asking for ping times to be lowered the speeds dropped (ive read on here thats the norm for speeds to drop)
      is there anything u could suggest why the noise is dropping? i removed the bellwire (orange colour from the plate etc
      im probalby paranoid but could it be my v1 netgear gt router ? ive had it about 2 years or more and constanly have to reset it so we can run 2 xbox's on live (as one strict and other moderate
      ps i have tried the sugestion on this site for the nat setting to be open but it doesnt work for me.
      and yeah i wont turn the router off while in the 10 day.an yeah im just using the supplied cable to the router from the filter plate.i cant connect to the fsceplate can i ? because it will make the router go off?
      thanx wayne

Exchange:
      Thanks

yeh if they lowered the max delays the speed would drop, i believe DLM will alter the max delays though(affecting the ping times). you should be fine to connect into the test socket, you will see a change in the line stats as DLM starts reconfiguring your line and if you only upgraded yesterday you probably have a day or 2 before it kicks in just connect a filter with simply your router(no phone) into the test socket and post up the stats.

you mentioned about the 2 xbox 360's and the NAT problems which another user has been experiencing as well(on another topic) apparently there's only a few routers that will allow you to have 2 360's ports open.. if you also have to reset your router alot to resolve this NAT issue then this could be affecting your noise margin simply because the noise will vary on your line at different times of the day. were you noticing the changes in your noise margin after resetting your router(ie different noise margin early morning compared to evening)?

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanx

im not 100% sure but the higher noise margin is better in a morning as now and again we used to switch the router off at night (mainly to make kids go bed) i know now if i reset the router i would go to 4096 ish but cos we just upgraded i dont want to reset it.
      ive not done a test for about a month in the test socket but im a bit reluctant to do it as scared to mess the training period up.

just looked again and my noise margin is at 6.8 down from 13.8 and ive not done anything to the router.
      Last edited by pendulum; 22-01-10 at 04:27 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
      if i reset the router i would go to 4096 ish but cos we just upgraded i dont want to reset it.
      ive not done a test for about a month in the test socket but im a bit reluctant to do it as scared to mess the training period up.

your capped at 4mb then if thats the speed you see when you reset your router, cant see the DLM helping too much with your current stats. you would be better off leaving your router in the test socket for the 10 days training period, i wouldnt worry about connecting to the test socket affecting the DLM, if your capped at 4096kbps at the moment and your current sync speed is 3232kbps then the DLM isnt going to give you anything more than your getting at the moment.

is your phone line clear or do you hear any crackling etc when you lift up the handset?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

but was hopin if someone could tell me what speeds i could expect.
      With your attenuation you will not get any more download speed than you did on Everyday/Mid, unless you were previously on G.DMT. In this case you may see a small increase, not much, just a few Ks. If you have a modern filtered faceplate, you are unlikely to see any difference in the Test socket. In fact using the crappy Sky filters, it could be worse.
      It is quite normal for the noise margin to vary during the day, it is nothing you have done. When DLM kicks in it will resync your router in the early hours. Keep it turned on at all times.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanx guys

just thinking wether its affected anything but my son has been on his xbox on live since posting the stats.(the noise margin) but as u say it wont be if its usual for this to happen.
      yeah will defo leave router on no matter what.
      an yeah i'm not expecting lots more download (alltho we had a great connection about a year back when we ugraded to max we got 4995 down an 768 up an cod 4 was best we ever had)
      we downgraded since tho after loosing my job.but now things are good were hoping to get a little more. we mainly upgraded for the usgage as kids are always downloading music / video's.
      an yeah i think were capped too.an the phoneline is good no crackling or interfearance.
      thanx wayne

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Your using a prefiltered socket, but are you using a microfilter? If so remove it, if not ignore this question - I've seen it happen before.

Anywho...you could have a slight fault on the line.

Try the testsocket anyway just to make sure your prefiltered socket isn't faulty.

Cheers.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanx,
      no im not using the micro filter aswell but thanx for the advice,il prob test the master socket after the training period cos knowing my luck dlm will have already started.
      wayne