Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless security question

This is a discussion on Wireless security question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think there might have been an intruder on my sister's home wireless network and I'd really appreciate it if ...

Blueberry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation Wireless security question

I think there might have been an intruder on my sister's home wireless network and I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out with a few things. Firstly, is it possible they might have installed a rootkit or packet sniffer on the router (it's a Netgear DG834GT), and would resetting the router definitely erase all that? Secondly, if I was to install Wireshark on her laptop to monitor the network traffic, would it be able to capture everything or can a rootkit bypass Wireshark? I need to sort this out fairly urgently so I'd really appreciate any advice.

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Wireless security question

you can log in to the router and check what devices are/have been attached to the router. the WPA-PSK security on your router is encrypted, if somebody has access to your wireless network it is far more likely they have either been given/seen your network key in which case you can change that on your router settings page as well

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless security question

It is very unlikely anything has been installed on the router without her knowledge. It is more likely something has been installed on her PC. To check this you can run a couple of anti-malware programs such as -
      SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!
      and

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com.

To boost the security change the WPA key in the Wireless settings in the router. This can consist of 8 to 63 characters, so it can be really strong.
      Also add the PC/Laptop to the Wireless Access list, also in the Wireless settings. This is not foolproof but can keep out the average 'war driver'.
      In the Router settings, click the Remote Management link and untick 'Turn Remote Management on'. Finally in the WAN setup link, untick any boxes that may be ticked.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.