Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

noise margin drop

This is a discussion on noise margin drop within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi i had sky broadband base till now. I have upgraded to unlimited back in december and last saturday i ...

sz.oliver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01554
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question noise margin drop

hi i had sky broadband base till now. I have upgraded to unlimited back in december and last saturday i finally got upgraded. I was really happy as i was wating for this for over a month. The speed got set to 3mb and as dlm started today morning it jumped up to 5mb. my noise margin was fine up till now (it was around 30 always. but tonight it dropped bellow 0 and i lost connection. so i restarted my router twice in a row but it was still below 0. Then 2 minutes later i suddenly had connection but the noise margin is now only between 4-7 and my speed got set back to 3mb
      (this happened around 11 at night)
      I have not changed anything with the wiering and and the routher is connected straight to the main socket i think with a filter. We have no phone connected at the time.

What could be the problem here and how can this be resolved? please respond as quickly as possible as my dlm is running and i dont want to call sky for the 500th time

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: noise margin drop

Try swapping over the filter and seeing if your SNR shoots back up. Failing that, then get into your test socket with simply the filter and the sky supplied dsl cable and post the stats whilst in the test socket.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Thanks

i tryed swapping now i got the 5mb back but the noise margin is still too low (i dont have a removeble faceplate) any more ideas? (now my upstream is loo as well)

Thanks

now since the change the line didnt disconnect but the downstreem noise margin is still around 5 but my upstream moved back to 13 (usually around 15) could this be because of the dlm (i know this couldn't be because of the dlm but il ask anyway)

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Post your stats, we can't advise what it could be without them.

Thanks

hi so my stats atm are

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3069 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31 db 18 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 19 db

as dlm is running on my line now i got set back to 3mb this morning but i dont thats why my noise margin has moved up a little as the routher tried 3mb last night with the same results (2-7 db noise margin)

if you need any more stats then this please post it.The phone is connected into one wall extentsion or main socket i dont know for sure as this is a new house i moved in to. It has no furthere extentsion and it is filterred even that we dont have a phone connected atm.

I just dont understand how could it just drop from 30 ish down to 3 ish in minutes as even if its not the main socket nothing changed :S

Aeschylus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: King's Lynn
      Thanks

at a guess there is something worng with wiring/where you are plugging it in, I would hunt for your master socket..

based on your stats on adsl you should/will be at 7mb and on adsl+ 14mb...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I doubt he will get near 14mb until his noise margin improves.

Thanks

i will try to find out which one is my master socket soon and test my connection on that. But before that i have an other question, as i was on base with a 2mb cap and now i cahnged to unlimited could it be that the noise margin is dropped because sky changed me from adsl to adsl 2+? if its true it still wouldn solve my problem i just wanted to know. and i also have notised that my line attenuation has increased from 25 - 31 after the upgrade anyone have any idea why?

thx for the replies btw

Thanks

now this is interesting i tested all the sockets in my house. I haven;t got one of the new "split" master sockets so i dont have a test socket.

The routheer was originaly pluged in upstairs. so i took it downstairs to test it on those sockets. there are two sockets downstairs but non of them work so i brought it back upstairs and tried all my filters that i currently have in the house.

first my old filter that i had from before. This has been pluged in alll day and the modem had a reliable 10-15 for both up and down streem.

then i tried one of the sky ones. it was slightly better with the downstream of 16 but the upstream went into 2147483647 db.

so i tried an other one from sky brand new just oppened it. and for a few minutes i was happy as down and upstreem was around 25 but then it started dropping and upsteam is reporting 2147483647 db again but the downstream is now between 16-21 which is a lot better.

what do you think i should do and which one should i use?

also with the second and teh third filter i have DW28 UP16 line attenuation and with the first one i have DW31 UP18

sorry for the loads of silly questions and the spelling mistakes and may thanks who already helped me

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast