Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Speed issues over the last few months

This is a discussion on Speed issues over the last few months within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i bet it happened when the basement neighbours had a virgin line installed through my flat because it wouldn't go ...

jmp909 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headingley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

Re: Speed issues over the last few months

i bet it happened when the basement neighbours had a virgin line installed through my flat because it wouldn't go over the house!

Sky have already sent one BT engineer who found no problems, and that took 3 months to sort out so I'm not very hopeful for this REIN testing

my connection speed looks good, (although earlier this evening it was 5.7) but i don't think that downstream noise margin should be like that. (the upstream looks good though?)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10236 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36 db 21 db
      Noise Margin 3 db 16 db

my noise margin was 17db after the engineer left (and they turned on/off interleaving), until Sky tried to reconfigure my line and then it just dropped again

running this Experience Smooth Streaming : Media : The Official Microsoft IIS Site gives poor performance and this - The Global Broadband Speed Test shows me at 4.5-7Mb overall... it used to be 10-12.5Mb all the time

having said that I am running wireless at the moment to see if i can remove any issues caused by the extension and my signal only shows 3 or 4 bars out of 5, so that probably affects my download speed (as opposed to connection speed) a bit. But still the downstream noise margin is low either way

Virgin 50Mb uncapped is looking more and more appealing as time goes on

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Speed issues over the last few months

The low noise margin can cause errors which are especially noticable when streaming. If data has to be resent this will show up as excessive buffering. Have you tried changing the wireless channel. This will not do anything for the internet speed but it may improve your wireless speed. Download Inssider from the link below, check what channels are in use and choose one as far from those in use as possible.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12