Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Router Query - Sagem

This is a discussion on Sky Router Query - Sagem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I hope some of you might be able to shed some light on this for me, I've got a ...

dj-badboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cowdenbeath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Router Query - Sagem

Hi,

I hope some of you might be able to shed some light on this for me, I've got a fair idea that either the router is goosed or there is some kind of interference for the wireless aspect.

I have on my network one laptop on vista, desktop on windows 7, 2 xbox 360's. Desktop is wired, laptop is wireless, one xbox is wired, the other wireless. Within the last 2/3 weeks, the laptop/router is dropping the connection and the laptop cannot connect to the internet (after a few minutes in it reconnects, sometimes). The two wired devices are fine and the wireless xbox appears to be fine (sons xbox and in bed when this generally happens).

I've changed the wireless channel to 7, as most of the households will be on auto around about here. Still hasn't solved anything, I also need to manually reboot the modem at least once a week/fortnight due to adsl down errors.

I have one master socket with no extensions, the master has a filtered faceplate from adsl nation and the telephone wiring internally has all been replaced. Is it likely that the router is past is best (not exactly a great router in the first place), should I request a replacement? or is there anything else I can look into?

Router stats included, I was getting 16/17Mb with Be, before moving to sky - this connection fluctuates between 14 and 15.5Mb.

System Up Time: 2:04:09
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 213635 335589 0 1120 67456 2:03:13
      LAN 142297 83227 0 0 0 2:04:09
      WLAN 204698 138185 0 68896 1512 2:03:43

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14453 kbps 1176 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.0 db 14.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 8.1 db

Thanks in advance.

Craig

2. Advertisement
      krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Router Query - Sagem

Stats look fine and about right to be honest.

Sounds like a wireless issue.

How far away are you from the router with the laptop being used?

Thanks

Router is approximately 2.5/3 metres away, middle of the house location at bottom of stairs, only one main wall in the way. Previously located in the living room about 0.5 metres away from laptop being used. Relocated router about 2 weeks ago, to give the wee boy a better wireless signal on the xbox upstairs (xmas present), both laptop and xbox have 4 bars of signal.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

you said you relocated the router 2 weeks ago and your broadband has been disconnecting for the past 2-3 weeks despite a 4 bar wireless signal?

where did you move the router from/too? surely it cant have moved too far?? are you still using the short adsl cable sky provided to connect the router to your pre-filtered faceplate?

also have you tried channels 01, 06, 11 and 13 for the wireless?

Thanks

Don't have a pre-filtered faceplate. As mentioned, it's an adsl nation filtered faceplate, with or without this it still causes the issue of losing sync, test socket has also been used. Can't be down to the internet connection, faceplate or internal wiring as no problems with ethernet connections are experienced.

Router was moved from living room to the hall, approximately 3 metres. The telephone wire from faceplate to router is the exact same as the one sky provided but slightly longer, however, I have tried switching this to no avail. I have also used inssider to check on various channels being used locally, there doesn't appear to be any problems. All channels have been tried, but sync problems still occur.

This is leading me to one of two conclusions, something causing interference but from where or the router/internal wireless card is knackered (going to ask sky for a new netgear router, as the sagem router ain't the best).

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dj-badboy View Post
      Don't have a pre-filtered faceplate. As mentioned, it's an adsl nation filtered faceplate, with or without this it still causes the issue of losing sync, test socket has also been used. Can't be down to the internet connection, faceplate or internal wiring as no problems with ethernet connections are experienced.
      You're not 'losing sync' if that's the case. Losing sync would mean all devices on the network would drop out as you've lost sync with your exchange, denoted by a flashing amber internet light. This is just a wireless signal issue.

What is the signal like on the laptop that is dropping out to your network? Are your neighbours' networks still able to be viewed when the signal drops out and are they better signal strength than your own router's network?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unhelpful post.
      Last edited by Isitme; 21-01-10 at 04:54 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

he said he has used Inssider and tried all channels. does the laptop still drop out when it is close to the router? if it is fine as you say on the wireless xbox and 2 wired devices surely this would indicate a problem with the wireless laptop(the only device having problems) rather than a faulty router as you suggested? are you using windows to manage your wireless networks on the laptop or different utility?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have to agree, it looks like the problem may be with the laptop. I would advise downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers site, uninstall the old ones and reinstall using the latest drivers. Just install the drivers, don't use their manager, use the Windows one.

Please note that even if you have the latest drivers, reinstalling often fixes problems like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.