Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

ADSL2+ Help?

This is a discussion on ADSL2+ Help? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Thanks for your help. I will look in to what you have suggested but not sure whether I will ...

Jj Carnon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Falmouth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: ADSL2+ Help?

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I will look in to what you have suggested but not sure whether I will attempt it for fear of rendering my line useless and relying on BT to get it sorted again (and having to pay for it).

I have taken up the fight with sky, as I have looked in to attenuation and noise margins and my 40db and 7db should mean I am gettting a significantly quicker line? Do we all agree?

Regards

Jamie

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Your attenuation should give you more speed but your noise margin will not allow it as it is too low for the line.

I imagine that this is due to the internal wiring and I doubt that was done by BT so you are liable to get a hefty bill for them to sort it.

Did you check that only the two terminals were connected on the faceplate in your flat, these should be 2 & 5, nothing else is required to be connected but could cause your porblems.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

as I have looked in to attenuation and noise margins and my 40db and 7db should mean I am gettting a significantly quicker line?
      The key figure is the noise margin, at 7dbs this is Sky's default which means you are getting as much as the line can support. With a good line your attenuation should give 8-10Mbs, but obviously there is a problem with your line. Unfortunately, in a block of flats with a large junction box this can be very difficult to trace. Your best chance is to try to get Sky to send out an engineer to check your line. I have seen a case in the past where the pairs connecting to the junction box were mixed up which caused a performance problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Jj Carnon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Falmouth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hello Chaps,

I decided to take the plunge and remove the cables (as Smithy99 suggested, thank you). A diamond of a BT Engineer told me which ones, I was unsure of the numbering, and would you Adam and Eve it...ta dah!

What do you think boys? Is there room for more?

I have upgraded my Sky Broadband package to unlimited now in the hope that recofiguring my line might squeeze some more speed out of it. Is that likely?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Jj
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ADSL2+ Help?-router-stats-after-removing-cables-.jpg  

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like you may get another 1Mb+, but it is strange that 'improving' your wiring caused the attenuation to rise, the opposite is usually the case.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123