Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

HELP!! can't understand slow speed!!

This is a discussion on HELP!! can't understand slow speed!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi everyone i'll try my best to explain my problem, got sky connect set up last saturday and all seemed ...

m26uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

HELP!! can't understand slow speed!!

hi everyone i'll try my best to explain my problem, got sky connect set up last saturday and all seemed ok, did some surfing and watched youtube video's without hardly any buffering at all, but for the last 3 or 4 evenings watching stuff on youtube is a waste of time as its buffering so slow, I thought maybe its them and not my internet speed but its the same with downloads as well, I check my router stats today and my downstream was about 128kbps!! obviously rubbish!! then I unscrewed the main bt socket and plugged into the test socket and it shot upto these stats:ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 db 15.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.3 db 28.0 db

.....I then removed the orange ring wire to. then I put it all back together as normal. with adsl cable going straight into main socket through usual filter. I now check my router stats and its as above. which looks pretty good. but I have noticed no difference in actual speed whilst surfing etc.

is that normal?
      what can I do next?
      does it take a while for everything to resync?
      please be gentle with me as i'm not that tech savy, thanks for reading!!

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: HELP!! can't understand slow speed!!

sky connect is infamous for its traffic management policy, heres a thread about it (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

the effects are supposed to kick in from 5pm-midnight and are only supposed to be implemented on heavy users(pffft) and video streaming is particularly poor during peak times

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      sky connect is infamous for its traffic management policy, heres a thread about it (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

the effects are supposed to kick in from 5pm-midnight and are only supposed to be implemented on heavy users(pffft) and video streaming is particularly poor during peak times
      thats not good news, youtube is my fav, any ideas? what about my stats do they mean anything? thanks

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

the stats are fine, but your at the max speed for your package anyway

run a speedtest in the morning and another at say 6pm, it will clearly show whether the problem is traffic management(your router stats will stay the same)

all you can really do about traffic management is change provider, and this would only be worth it if another ISP offers an LLU service in your exchange as sky either dont have their own equipment in your local exchange(or the ports are full which is less common)

if this isnt an option then just try to reduce streaming/downloading which in theory should stop the severe slowdown during peak hours but a lot of people have found this isnt always the case

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You'll be going through connect's training period known as RAMBo at the moment. Leave it for 10 days until your rate/profile settles and see if it's still as bad.

As already pointed out, though, you're best heading to a different ISP if you have LLU in your exchange, mate.

Pilks4k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSHE
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I'm on sky connect at the minute but im in the process of going over to O2 LLU Service. From day one connect was slow! I would get in from work around 17:30pm turn the computer to find the internet was slow around 380kb so sky only throttling heavy users is a load of crap the sky tech guy i talked to on the phone agreed lol.

So my advice change ISP I will be getting 19mb unlimited internet for 10 month from O2 thats 7 cheaper and a better service they have contacted me every day letting me know what is going on keeping me in the loop.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

m26uk
      THere are many connect threads about problems the biggest problem is Sky are Traffic Shaping 5pm till midnight mine is 4pm till 1am at the moment part is explained here Sky.com - Sky Help Centre>Product Help look at Sky Broadband Connect customers only. the lowest speed
      I have seen is 1kbps download achieved the Bt test

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for the help everyone, I went on youtube this morning at about 745am and youtube was alot quicker, working really well!! pretty much just played the video!! what a joke!!