Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

help with my sky unlimited connection

This is a discussion on help with my sky unlimited connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, thought I would sign up, Im a regular on digitalspy but decided it would do no harm to ...

MyRomeo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NESS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unhappy help with my sky unlimited connection

Hi all,

thought I would sign up, Im a regular on digitalspy but decided it would do no harm to seek advice on a sky specific website. I suspect some on here have already met me!

Here is my situation:

Sky mid 10mb, always got 9.6-10mb stable. depending on when i synced.

Upgraded to sky unlimited up to 20mb and saw speeds drop to 8.6mb. After a few calls to sky they agreed to manually set my line to the 20mb profile, this saw my speeds go up to about 10.6mb/1.2mb. Not to shabby. Problem was highlighted when the missus bought a 'Wii Speak' mic for her wii to play online games with her lill sister and the audio quality is awful, like a old radio crackle crackle hiss hello hiss pop...

Ah, line stats!

Attenuation down/up : 40dB/23dB
      SNR down/up : 7.2dB/7.7dB

Line length according to BT : 5.5km
      'As the crow flies' to exchange <500m
      Line loop length : 3.6km
      Actual length approx 1.7km

From what I can see 1.7km line should be about 24dB attenuation.

I also see 40dB should get about 8mb, not 10.6+...

Next, On sky mid I notice MTU setting 1500, this give lots of CRC errors on unlimited and a hard reset and check showed MTU 1458 works much better. Isnt this a BT MTU?

Line is unbundled and exchange 'NESS' has sky LLU.

I have router straight in master socket, test socket adds about 1dB.

I have also ordered ADSLNation faceplate.

My parents live further from the exchange than me and are using a 40 year old overhead line, im using a 2 year old underground line. they get attenuation 20dB and can sync at 20mb!

Sky advise me their system says line max is 3mb, max attainable from teir 3 people is 14mb...

NOTHING makes sense! I have been told by several sales, tech, managers at sky that my line should take between 11 and 15mb (depending who i speak to) but it will not go above about 10.6. typically sync is about 9.8mb.

Can anyone make any sense of what is going on?

Is there a problem with my line?
      Why is MTU 1458 and not 1500?

Help

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: help with my sky unlimited connection

Connect the router to the test socket and repost your stats to see if there is any room for improvement.

The speed you get depends on your line quality, try the test socket anyway.

Thanks

Cheers for reply.

I have tried the test socket and sync speed still varies from about 9mb to 10.6mb (10599 is the fastest ive ever seen). SNR does tend to go up to about 8dB, attenuation doesnt change.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyRomeo View Post
      Cheers for reply.

I have tried the test socket and sync speed still varies from about 9mb to 10.6mb (10599 is the fastest ive ever seen). SNR does tend to go up to about 8dB, attenuation doesnt change.
      You could get a filtered faceplate to get that little SNR increase at your current router location, it is not much but it can be the difference between syncing at 10Mb all day to dropping to 9mb, depends on you if it is worth it.

For a 40db line 10Mb is about right, you are closer to 11Mb so you are doing well.

Who is your line rental will sky or BT.

Thanks

Hi,

line rental is with sky.

I fitted an ADSLNation XTE-2005 filtered faceplate last night and got about 1.3dB increase, that is to say it was at 9.3mb @ 6.1dB, resynced at 9.4mb @ 7.4dB so I think as little line monitoring and maybe lowering the target SNR should see the line hold a bit higher easier.

Resync was at about 5.30pm so pretty high demand time, hoping I can resync during day at a higher rate and hold it. typically it will reset 10-10.6 during day but struggles to hold it at night.

Oh, last night I saw my first ever 1mb/s download! previously hit a brick wall at 950kb/s!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyRomeo View Post
      Hi,

line rental is with sky.

I fitted an ADSLNation XTE-2005 filtered faceplate last night and got about 1.3dB increase, that is to say it was at 9.3mb @ 6.1dB, resynced at 9.4mb @ 7.4dB so I think as little line monitoring and maybe lowering the target SNR should see the line hold a bit higher easier.

Resync was at about 5.30pm so pretty high demand time, hoping I can resync during day at a higher rate and hold it. typically it will reset 10-10.6 during day but struggles to hold it at night.

Oh, last night I saw my first ever 1mb/s download! previously hit a brick wall at 950kb/s!
      I find that if I resynced the connection at around 6 to 7pm it gives the highest speed it can with the default noise margin. It should sit close to the 10Mb mark.

You could phone sky and ask CST to set the connection speed as close to 10000kbps (10Mb) as possible then get it capped at that speed so when resynced it will not try to connect higher, that what i did it was at 14.5Mb but at night would have problems so had it capped to 13Mb and is fine.