Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADSL Drops With an Incoming Call

This is a discussion on ADSL Drops With an Incoming Call within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ADSL Drops With an Incomming Call and then can Resync during the call (unstable though with high fluctuations in Noise ...

Freedom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: IPSLEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question ADSL Drops With an Incoming Call

ADSL Drops With an Incomming Call and then can Resync during the call (unstable though with high fluctuations in Noise Margin).

Setup is as follows:

BT Line - NTE5 - Faceplate Filter - Modem & Phone

No extentions and no wireless involved in this paticular setup.

The only solution I currently have is if I do the following:

BT Line - NTE5 - Faceplate Filter - Modem
      - Dangly Filter - Phone

As you can see I have 'double filtered' the phone line only and the problem seems to have resided.

Now this to me would point to faulty faceplate filter - so I have changed and tested several others - this results in the same problem so it isn't the filter. Have also tested in the master socket - with the same effect.

I read a few posts from America that suggested there might be a fault with the ringing voltage at the exchange been way to high resulting in a lot of extra interference. Comments?

I currently have the issue logged with SKY CST and am awaiting their comments regarding this matter - but wondered if you guys had come across anything similar.
      I no longer have this issue logged. CST have had a chat with each other and agreed that if an extra filter fixes the issue then it must be some kind of wiring issue. Although I know for a fact there is no problem with the internal wiring (as there isn't any) we couldn't progress any further. It has been suggested to try a different phone with the extra filter removed, which I will endevour to do. The CST guy did put me on a new line profile which increased my upstream by 80kb/s and reduced some errors that the line was getting. He also mentioned that i had a bad AM interference score suggesting poor internal wiring again, but again I dont have any and the ring wire is defo. not attached - so any others ideas chaps? Although AM interference really could be anything do you guys have any strong suggestions to check out for?

As a side note I thought I would mention that the line into the house here is Aluminium and not Copper

Let me know!
      Last edited by Freedom; 12-01-10 at 01:41 PM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

re: ADSL Drops With an Incoming Call

so in the test socket with a filter it's the same?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Yes in the test socket it is the same.

(updated first post too)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the aluminium won't be helping things tbh...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

No I know and there ain't any way that will be getting replaced. I would just pull a new wire through myself, but I doubt BT would be terribly happy about me opening up their cabinet!

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The line to your home is not Aluminium, this is not used for drops or underground feeds. Your problem is due to a defective joint somewhere in the line to the exchange, and the best thing would be for it to deteriorate to the point where it effects your voice calls (crackle and noise on the line). Other than that it is up to your ISP to contact Openreach.

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Your problem is due to a defective joint somewhere in the line to the exchange
      That is what i was thinking.
      Possible line fault OR possible Tie Pair Issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      The line to your home is not Aluminium, this is not used for drops or underground feeds. Your problem is due to a defective joint somewhere in the line to the exchange, and the best thing would be for it to deteriorate to the point where it effects your voice calls (crackle and noise on the line). Other than that it is up to your ISP to contact Openreach.
      The underground feed to my home is most definately aluminium - unless you know of any other metal used in drop feeds that is a silver colour?

At one point back in October I did have a noice on the line issue, but only when the Modem/Router was syncing. The Sky CST guy suggested it could be the router at fault and sent a new one. This seemed to cure the problem until this chestnut has raised it's ugly head.

Having read up on faulty tie pairs, I would seem to agree! Any way we can get this checked out easily by SKY CST without them fighting me off? I guess the answer will be no...
      Last edited by Freedom; 13-01-10 at 03:31 PM.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
      The underground feed to my home is most definately aluminium - unless you know of any other metal used in drop feeds that is a silver colour?

At one point back in October I did have a noice on the line issue, but only when the Modem/Router was syncing. The Sky CST guy suggested it could be the router at fault and sent a new one. This seemed to cure the problem until this chestnut has raised it's ugly head.

Having read up on faulty tie pairs, I would seem to agree! Any way we can get this checked out easily by SKY CST without them fighting me off? I guess the answer will be no...
      If when connected to the test socket, this problem is still happening then you need to contact who ever you pay the line rental too to sort the problem out. I had this problem and it turned out to be the tie pairs that were faulty once changed it stopped happening.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

Its tin plated copper. and it is very unlikely to be tie pairs. Its a duff joint somewhere, get on to Sky and see if they will organise a line health check, thro Openreach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast