Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How much does BBCi player use??

This is a discussion on How much does BBCi player use?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just been emailed by Sky that I have gone over my monthly 2Gb allowance. I only use the ...

stephensky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How much does BBCi player use??

I have just been emailed by Sky that I have gone over my monthly 2Gb allowance.

I only use the internet very lightly, emails, bit of surfing, and NO downloading. However, I do dip into BBCi player quite frequently but only to watch via streaming, never downloading a program.

Can anyone tell me how much 'streaming' uses of my allowance as I was under the assumption that it was only 'downloading' that really used up my allowance?

Many thanks,

Stephen

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: How much does BBCi player use??

Quote Originally Posted by stephensky View Post
      I have just been emailed by Sky that I have gone over my monthly 2Gb allowance.

I only use the internet very lightly, emails, bit of surfing, and NO downloading. However, I do dip into BBCi player quite frequently but only to watch via streaming, never downloading a program.

Can anyone tell me how much 'streaming' uses of my allowance as I was under the assumption that it was only 'downloading' that really used up my allowance?

Many thanks,

Stephen
      Anything you do on the net goes towards your monthly allowance and if you use something like iplayer alot then you would need to upgrade your broadband package, really to the max package but the mid package would help.
      The base pack is not designed for lots of streaming.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Downloading Eastenders 08/10/2010 would eat 322mb of your allowance, which is approx one sixth of Base's allowance. 1meg is approx 1000mb or 1024mb depending which measuring system Sky use.

When you go to iPlayer if you look to the right under the picture / image, it should say Download 322mb (or similar) for each programme. However, I think downloading to watch rather than streaming to watch uses more bandwidth.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

streaming a video just means your watching it whilst downloading it and therefore it will use the same amount of bandwith but you dont have to wait for it to download(very easy to mistake this for not downloading data)

stephensky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

streaming a video just means your watching it whilst downloading it and therefore it will use the same amount of bandwith but you dont have to wait for it to download(very easy to mistake this for not downloading data)
      That's really interesting!

I have always assumed that streaming online used far less than actually downloading the program - don't know why I thought that, urban myth maybe!

Anyway, that's the end of BBCi player for me

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

related note (kind of) - a whole Premier League football match, streaming on SkyPlayer in medium quality, is about 2GB IIRC (checked after watching one the other month) so something else to bare in mind...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket