Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

MAX Line Speed: Slower & Slower

This is a discussion on MAX Line Speed: Slower & Slower within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I am getting desparate because of the slow speeds with Sky MAX - my router stats are as ...

KevPeel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bridgwater
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

MAX Line Speed: Slower & Slower

Hi all,

I am getting desparate because of the slow speeds with Sky MAX - my router stats are as follows (connected to the test socket, on extension it's slightly slower)

Connection Speed 384 kbps 700 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 22.7 db 9.0 db

I've had good speeds at my current address for several years (at 3mpbs down/ 740kbps up) until 2009 when the upstream speed was cut almost in half to around 400kbps. Over the christmas period the upstream suddenly went back up to 700kbps but now the down speed has gone from 2mb to 1mb and now it's current speed in kb which is, needless to say, extremely slow.

I phoned Sky and the polite support person said to call BT as it's their line we are using (I have a BT home phone line), surely this is wrong as Sky manage the connection at the local exchange? I haven't tried BT yet as we are in the process of switching to Sky talk to cut costs. Would that solve this slow connection? Anyone else using the Bridgwater exchange have this problem with Sky BB? We are on the Bower estate, about 1.5-2 miles (I think) from the exchange.

Any help is really appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: MAX Line Speed: Slower & Slower

Put it in the test socket, post your stats and then call Sky as you are capped (your noise margin is far too high on the downstream). If you are in the test socket when you call them and you use a new filter then you should be put through to CST to get that sorted out.
      Why did they say to call BT? Have you got noise on your line? If not then there is no reason to call them.

KevPeel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bridgwater
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Paul

Thanks. Already running on test socket, phoned Sky and after a long wait got put through to a technician who confirmed there is a problem at the exchange (he said that there was a fault at their end). After changes were made, I checked my router again and now get almost 2900kbps down and 800kbps up speeds. I'm happy with that!

They also mentioned that the line is noisy but I'm not sure what can be done as I have the router (with filter) on the test socket and everything else is unplugged

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevPeel View Post
      They also mentioned that the line is noisy but I'm not sure what can be done as I have the router (with filter) on the test socket and everything else is unplugged
      disconnect everything from your line(microfilter incl) and then connect a single corded telephone to the test socket and dial 17070. if you hear any crackling or noise you need to contact your line rental provider and let them know of this, they should be able to get that sorted for you!!