Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why is speed so low argh

This is a discussion on Why is speed so low argh within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right this is my dads internet but i use it most. i know this is not right, my line can ...

Smcollumbell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01892
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Why is speed so low argh

Right this is my dads internet but i use it most.

i know this is not right, my line can take 3,5mbps but yet im only getting 329kbps which is just god damn aweful, if i got him to go to sky broadband max would this line improve?

i play games and yet it take me hours to dl them onto my comp beacuse im dl these games at a SHOCKING 39.2kbps! yes thats right...this is just awful.

also the other thing i wanted to know is could i get my own separate internet, so my dads keeps sky and i go with o2 or something.

Thanks plz respond asap
      Scott

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Why is speed so low argh

You are connected to the Crowborough telephone exchange at a distance of approximately 1.5 miles.

According to information provided by BT Wholesale, your telephone line may be able to support a 3.5 Mbps or greater ADSL connection speed.

(higher then normal)

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smcollumbell View Post
      Right this is my dads internet but i use it most.

i know this is not right, my line can take 3,5mbps but yet im only getting 329kbps which is just god damn aweful, if i got him to go to sky broadband max would this line improve?

i play games and yet it take me hours to dl them onto my comp beacuse im dl these games at a SHOCKING 39.2kbps! yes thats right...this is just awful.

also the other thing i wanted to know is could i get my own separate internet, so my dads keeps sky and i go with o2 or something.

Thanks plz respond asap
      Scott
      Please post your router stats.

Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 375 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 db 29.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 16.5 db

this?

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

do you have your router connected directly to the master socket without any extensions?

Thanks

i don't-no my dad does and he got same speed as me, i have home Ethernet plug adapters. this should make alot of differnce i just want to know why it so slow :/

Thanks

tho im not 100% what you ment

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

sorry!! basically the broadband signal enters your house at the master telephone socket, you can generally identify it because it should have a horizontal line across the centre of it. sometimes if the socket is particularly old it will have a logo on it which isn't found on your other sockets(bt or telecom logo) and it may be slightly larger than your other sockets.

a common place for the master socket is downstairs in the hallway/near the front door and you may be able to see the line enter the house. from this master socket you should have a microfilter(connected directly to the socket without any telephone extension cables) and from here your router should be connected directly to one side with a short grey adsl cable and you may have a phone or sky tv box(or both) connected to the other side of this filter.

if you could connect your microfilter directly into your test socket(Sky User - How to test your Master Socket) and then log into 192.168.0.1 in your browse(username: admin - password: sky) and click on the "show statistics button" and copy and paste your line stats to this topic that would help alot. you can also check your downstream and upstream speeds via the test socket on this page under the "modem" section!

hope this helps

*edit* forgot to mention to make sure any phone sockets in the house that are in use need to have one of those microfilters connected to them(make sure its the first thing connected) - although dont worry about this too much whilst checking your test socket

Thanks

unfortunately i am unable to do this. how would that help anyway may i ask(i hope that doesn't sound rude lol) i don't own a cat cable long enough and plus my dads iffy with these type of thing a tbh he don't give a ****, im the one that suffering, anyway do you know if my dl speed would go up if i went sky maximum or do i have to do this test.

if i have to do the test then im screwed lol by test i mean plug in straight in.

thanks for the quick replys

*whats a micro filter btw?*

sorry if i, bothering you just i don't know much.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smcollumbell View Post
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 375 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 db 29.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 16.5 db

this?
      Upgrading to max will not help at all with those stats.

The noise margin of 7.2db that you see there - pretty much the higher that is, the better, and the closer it descends to 7 then you're not going to push out more speed. In other words, if it was 25, then you'd be able to push out a lot more speed. Thus, something is creating noise interfering with the broadband signal.

Check every telephone socket in the house that is in use and confirm that each have a microfilter connected DIRECTLY into the telephone socket. The microfilters typically look like white boxes with two connections - one for phone, one for modem and they specifically state 'modem' and 'phone' on them. If any socket is unfiltered and being used with a phone, or sky tv etc. then get a filter into the telephone socket.

Also, if you're using any extension cables to the router, then you're going to need to remove them and use the sky supplied dsl cable as extension cables are typical cause of the type of stats you have there.

Double, or even triple, check if you have a blank white two-way adapter type box (referred to as a splitter) connected to a telephone socket that you have a filter connected BEFORE it. Even better, if you don't need the splitter, then just get rid of it.

If you make any changes to the set-up, then post back what you've done and post your new stats.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast