Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Why is speed so low argh

This is a discussion on Why is speed so low argh within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; if you have homeplugs then it shouldnt matter where the router is sitting :s your speed wont go up from ...

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Why is speed so low argh

if you have homeplugs then it shouldnt matter where the router is sitting :s

your speed wont go up from increasing your package no, you should be able to get your estimated speed or more but sky dont take into account your internal wiring when giving you an estimated speed meaning that due to your distance from the exchange and the quality of the line that is the speed you should get but if you start adding extension wiring/extension cables to this the possible speed will severely drop.

microfilters seperate the high frequency broadband signal from the lower frequency telephone signal, without one of these on each telephone socket in use you are adding extra noise to the line. this noise will affect your sound to noise ratio(found in router stats) and cause add interference on the line which will affect the sensitive broadband signal.

telephone extension wiring will is generally the main factor with slow speed issues(excl broadband connect lol) because of the interference this causes! even though the length of the extension wiring/cable may be very short compared to the distance the broadband signal has travelled to get to you it is surprising what an impact this can have on your broadband speed.

there are people on here who would be explain that quite a bit more "technically" myself but the best thing to do is give it a try! you may find that if your wiring has been bad for a while your line is capped and if so your speeds may only increase slightly if you move router to the test socket(at this point you just call sky who uncap the line). we can tell you if your capped if do post your router stats so post back if your able to make any changes/gather any more info

best of luck

*a microfilter is the a little white box that will say phone on one side and dsl or modem on the other side, its generally on a short cable(couple of inches) and should be the first thing hanging out of your telephone socket(each one in use). its very important that the microfilter that is used for the broadband isnt connected to an extension cable(which is then connected to the phone socket).

the microfilter is there to stop the broadband signal interfering with your telephone calls and to stop the telephone signal interfering with your broadband connection. sky would have provided you with 3 of these
      Last edited by misfit96; 07-01-10 at 11:49 PM. Reason: noticed updated post on page 1

2. Advertisement
      Smcollumbell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01892
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Also, if you're using any extension cables to the router, then you're going to need to remove them and use the sky supplied dsl cable as extension cables are typical of the type of stats you have there.

Double, or even triple, check if you have a blank white two-way adapter type box (referred to as a splitter) connected to a telephone socket that you have a filter connected BEFORE it. Even better, if you don't need the splitter, then just get rid of it.

right err. we have micro filters on every socket, i believe not 100% tho that we have an extension because are modem is in a separate to were the telephone socket is.

im not 100% on what to do i think the best way is to add me on msn, and ill show you the pics and we can work are way from there? that what i think is best because im not great with all this info :P

god i must seem thick

Thanks

i have some pictures and then you guys can tell me if its an extenstion. scollumbell@hotmail.com is my msn.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I don't use msn, buddy. If you're thinking it is an extension cable, then you can confirm just by doing this:

Go to the back of the router - check the 'adsl' port and follow the cable that is plugged into that and check where it goes. It SHOULD go to a filter that plugs directly into a telephone socket. If it's long enough to go through rooms, across a room or the like and it is not a light grey colour, then that's an extension cable you're using.

If so, then grab the light grey dsl cable sky supplied and stick that in place of the extension cable. If you're using ethernet cable to connect to the router, it may mean that it's too far to connect now obviously without the extension cable - if you have any way of going wireless, or connecting a laptop up via ethernet connection, then do so and re-post the stats with the sky dsl cable in.

Thanks

scollumbell have a look and tell me if there is something wrong eg extension.

so just unplug my router and the ADSL 'grey' cable and move it to the room were the filter is and plug it in there?

Exchange:
      Thanks

you can attach pictures to your forum posts.. sky provided you with a microfilter(should be straight in the master socket) and from there you should have short grey cable(a couple of feet long) connected to the back of your router...

if your router is not within a few feet of the phone socket then your router IS on an extension, if you dont have the orginal grey adsl cable sky provided then you can get them to send you another one free of charge.

make sure that the microfilter i described isnt connected to an extension cable.. it should be hanging from the phone port in the wall(main phone socket)

Thanks

[IMG] goto move my sky box to here? and remove extension and plug 'grey' ADSL cable straight into that? just to confirm and then do anther test like befor?

[IMG][/IMG]

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smcollumbell View Post
      scollumbell have a look and tell me if there is something wrong eg extension.

so just unplug my router and the ADSL 'grey' cable and move it to the room were the filter is and plug it in there?
      exactly! connect it to a filter in that socket with the horizontal line and then post router stats

Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 382 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.5 db 29.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 16.5 db

nothing changed.
      ill get pic up of what ive changed, ive moved my router to the room were the socket was and plug it all in grey cable straight into that lil white box.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smcollumbell View Post
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 382 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.5 db 29.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 16.5 db

nothing changed.
      ill get pic up of what ive changed, ive moved my router to the room were the socket was and plug it all in grey cable straight into that lil white box.
      When you say 'little white box' - is it the blank white box you had connected to the telephone socket or the white box that said 'phone' and 'modem'? Just make sure you plug into the master socket (the pic below) with just the filter (white box with 'phone' and 'modem') directly into the socket and then the short grey cable going into the 'modem' port of the filter and straight into the 'adsl' port on the back of the router.

Edit: If you're still getting those stats like that, then you're going to have to convince your Dad to let you unscrew those two screws off that socket, take off the bottom half of the faceplate and then plug in the filter with the grey cable again and re-post the stats yet again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast