Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Misold broadband

This is a discussion on Misold broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, After reading through the forums i've come to understanding that the common 'ping' problems i'm experiancing are due ...

Desertrat2k7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Misold broadband

Hi all,

After reading through the forums i've come to understanding that the common 'ping' problems i'm experiancing are due to being on the 'connect' package.

When me and my partner took out the Sky HD/phone/broadband package we were told that we would get the 'Max' unlimited broadband included with it, so we got our SKY HD box and then around a month later, our broadband kit.

We were advised that it can take upto a couple of weeks for the connection to stabalise so we accepted the fact that the connection was slow and disconnecting frequently due to this, and just rode it out.

The line seemed to have improved somewhat after a few weeks, but something didn't seem right as I was getting massive pings of 400+ during the day and over 1k in the evenings.
      So, I phoned sky customer services and was told that because i'm on the connect package, there was nothing that could be done however I will be 'automatically' upgraded to the max package after 2 months.
      I wasn't too happy about this, but decided to be patient about it and ride out the 2 months while they apparently upgrade me for something I was promised in the first place.

2 months passed, and no word from sky or any impovement in the line/ping.

So, I contacted them again. I was told this time too that as i'm on the connect package that there is nothing that can be done. When I mentioned that we were advised first of all that we would get max, but then delayed by 2 months the advisor said there was no record about that and that we are now contracted on the connect package.
      I at this point demanded to speak to tier 3 technical support (after reading many thread on here regarding solutions) and they too advised they cannot change the interleaving/max delay etc etc which I understood could be the problem.

It turns out i'm screwed because i'm on connect, and basically nothing can be done about it.

I've sent a letter of complaint and an email, but after 2 weeks I am still yet to hear anything - I got a feeling I will get the same misguided answer again.

Really not pleased about this, because we were advised that we would get unlimited and we got connect then we were told we will get unlimited in the near future so was lied to again.

What are my options? Surely I can leave sky if they can only offer connect to me when they misold the product in the first place?

Looking at this ingo for my local exchange I should be able to get unlimited?
      SamKnows Broadband - Availability - Verwood (STVERWD) Exchange

They have to upgrade me or allow me to cancel, as I work from home I really do need a stable line. Download speeds don't matter to me, I need a good ping only.

I look foward to your comments

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Misold broadband

Call Customer Services and see if there are any free ports on the LLU service, if there are they can place an upgrade order to move you (I did this twice when I still worked for Sky and both went through fine)...did take me hassling CS to do it though as they didn't think it could be done!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice,

I just phoned them and I was put through to Tier 2, spoke to a guy who was polite (more so than front desk that is for sure!) who basically reconfirmed that i'm on connect and that it is the only one available in my area

I advised there are several options to improve my massive ping rates such as disabling interleaving, setting max delay to 8 and lowering the speed to 2mb so he proceeded to perform a line test and called me back.

He then avised he has managed to turn off interleaving, and reduced the max delay for me and to allow 24 hours for the changes to take effect.

I then got another call to advise an engineer will be phoning me tommorow (i think it's a courtasy call?!) - does that mean they will come to my house or the exchange to do the work?

I didnt know interleaving and max delay were set at the exchange i thought it was software their end?

Will this mean my ping will be at least bearable now despite still being on Connect or should I persue the cancellation route?

Thanks
      Last edited by Desertrat2k7; 07-01-10 at 06:20 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

He is lying, only BT can do that if you are on Connect.

Your exchange seems to have LLU in there so I cannot understand why they are reluctant to move you over or at least confirm that it may be an option when space becomes available.

You are sure you have the right exchange info aren't you?

The only other option is to leave due to the package being un-useable, just ask for your MAC code, many from here have and have not been held to the contract because it is actually Sky in breach due to their shoddy service.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 07-01-10 at 06:24 PM.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrat2k7 View Post
      Thanks for the advice,

I just phoned them and I was put through to Tier 2, spoke to a guy who was polite (more so than front desk that is for sure!) who basically reconfirmed that i'm on connect and that it is the only one available in my area

I advised there are several options to improve my massive ping rates such as disabling interleaving, setting max delay to 8 and lowering the speed to 2mb so he proceeded to perform a line test and called me back.

He then avised he has managed to turn off interleaving, and reduced the max delay for me and to allow 24 hours for the changes to take effect.

Will this mean my ping will be at least bearable now despite still being on Connect or should I persue the cancellation route?

Thanks
      Tier 2 = customer solutions team. CST can run the copper line test you mentioned but can't change your profile - BTWholesale have to do that because essentially it is BT equipment you're on, not easynet/sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So basically what the advisor and the 2nd advisor who called back to confirm an engineer will be sorting it out tommorow were saying were lies? I got his name and the time of the call, so if he is...heads will roll.

Can't they instruct BT to do it? I think he said that is whats happening..

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrat2k7 View Post
      So basically what the advisor and the 2nd advisor who called back to confirm an engineer will be sorting it out tommorow were saying were lies? I got his name and the time of the call, so if he is...heads will roll.

Can't they instruct BT to do it? I think he said that is whats happening..
      Sky can use btwholesale's fault diagnostics to find faults and then log to BT if necessary, so if you were told an engineer would be booked or logged over to BT, then I wouldn't doubt it - hopefully whatever was found will be fixed. I was referring to the matter of changing speeds/max delays which sky themselves cannot do for the connect package.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They did mention that they did find faults and that the connection was very poor indeed, am finding it hard to trust Sky at the moment as you can probably understand and I really hope tommorow brings an end to this at last and that it isn't another lie.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

user on Connect can be put on fastpath, just gotta place an order regrade and it's takes 24hrs to complete - won't help anything though due to the throttling on Connect!!

All the Max Delay stuff is purely for LLU connections...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

So this won't sort it out and I should phone them back to ask to be put on 'fastpath'?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast