Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is there a exchange problem in the SM5 Surrey area

This is a discussion on Is there a exchange problem in the SM5 Surrey area within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Since the weekend I have been unable to connect to sky. The amber light on my Netgear router is ...

Astraman999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is there a exchange problem in the SM5 Surrey area

Hi,

Since the weekend I have been unable to connect to sky. The amber light on my Netgear router is flashing away, then a couple of green lights flash and then the amber flashes again. This cycle repeats itself over and over again.

I have phoned Sky three times to be told the there is an exchange problem with this particualr Netgear router ( they took the serial number and checked) and it is affecting a lot of users. They can't tell me when it will be fixed, they suggest I call on Saturday to get an update if I still have no connection then

I would have thought that if this problem is affecting all users of this particualr router I would be able to find a post of two on the subject, but I've trawled the internet and forums and found nothing.

Is this true or am I being led up the garden path and is there anything else I can do other than to wait for Sky.

This is the first time I have had a problem with Sky in over a year.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Is there a exchange problem in the SM5 Surrey area

If it is the MAC address issue then I believe it is affecting some MAC addresses beginning with '002F' (of the top of my head - I may be incorrect). It's been logged to sky for quite some time now, since the 31/12/09 if I'm correct. Nothing but a waiting game until fault management get the finger out.
      Last edited by User05; 07-01-10 at 04:14 PM.

Astraman999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I',m not to good understanding the technical side of things but the number I took from my router and gave to Sky started 0024B so from what you are saying I will have to sit tight and wait.

I did find it strange that I couldnt find any mention of it when I googled - I imagined at least a few posts in various forums or a written statment from Sky

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I can't remember the exact MAC address affected - but that sounds about right. Basically they're having problems authenticating to the sky network and you'll be seeing an amber internet light.

Unless this is perhaps a different issue you're having, in which case I suggest calling sky up again and getting someone to explain exactly what the problem is to confirm where the issue lies - whether that be an outtage at your exchange or whether it is the aforementioned MAC address issue.